Vey novice red sea max 150 user seeks pump guidance!

Mystfit

I have had a simple salt water tank set up for several years in the Red Sea Max. Althugh advertized as a handy little guy, I never nonded well with it. I found the two pumps (as one example, diffucult to clean and then restart. Either it won't pump water at all or the small black pice on the bottom falls off and lands at the bottom of the chamber or the top rattles or...!!!
After sevral years, I noticed that i required a higher and higher water level to get the pumps to work without bubbling or faltering. Usually after a good cleaning of the filter media, this would resolve, bot not this last year. So I opted to replace ALL the pumps in the tank. TTHe protien skimmer pump came to me broken..a piece was sheared off (and is on it's way back for replacement), THe pumps....oh the pumps....The bottom black portion refuses to stay over the impeller. It falls off almost immediately. If I can get it to stay, water spits out the area where the black portion attaches to the grey casing sending water everytwhere. THey also seem to require a HIGHER water level without said spitting then before I replaced them.
I feel like my whole pump order was a disaster.
Are there tricks to these pumps I don't know. Are there other brands I could use and dump the red sea max brand altogether!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Not quite sure what to tell you as I have never had these problems with mine, but maybe some other members can advise. I know a few members have replaced the stock pumps with after market ones :read: though this thread... http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/40252-rsm-130-130d-mods.html

tnwillia

whale_12.gif

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary !!!

After "several" years it sounds like your ready for new pumps. Have fun!

Sapphire

Welcome to RS! :wave:

I have the 130, and after a year we did have both circulation pumps die - we replaced them with eheim 600s and haven't had any problems since they went in.

Mystfit

Thanks! I wanted to make darn sure whatever I selected could go in that area provided. I wasn't sure how generic it was. I assume they fit in the hole? Can the water be directed like the current pumps can?
Now to get rid of the algae ;) One thing at a time!