Varga's 300 Gallon In-Wall Build!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daytonben

Okies, question time for Varga!

Calc reactor... I have never used one but am definitely interested in setting one up for the build I am going to do. I know very little about them and have seen some systems that dose CO2 and some that don't. How are you liking yours and what can ya tell me about it ? Where is the best place to add the Calc reactor in the filter system? Before the skimmer... after? Or maybe right before the pump return..

Oh, and how loud is your Coast-to-Coast overflow?

framerguy

Quick question Chris...I have read that mangroves strip magnesium out of the water and you need to keep an eye on it. I have had the opposite affect in my system and the magnesium is high and stays there. I'm not complaining mind you, just commenting. How are your levels?

Varga

whos Chris? :D

Thanks JoJo and big red.

I don't know too much about CA reactor. my buddy's helping with mine.

Greg, I don't even have a magnesium test. I don't think I have enough groves to really make a difference. I think i have 18 of them in 380 gallons, I doubt they put a dent in any parameter.

No real updates on the tank. Business has picked up so nicely I haven't had time to look at the tank much but things are growing happily. sticks are doing great :D

Willie McDaries

varga,
I got my sweetwater paint today,got a few questions for you
when you mixed the hardener and the paint,did you mix the whole gallon or just a little at a time?
what did you use to apply it to the tank with,I read it but don't remember?
I was gonna spray mine but am afraid to,I don't want to ruin my paint gun

Willie McDaries

Varga,
got my first coat of paint on,didn't take a quart of paint,I bought 2 gallons of this stuff,should have plenty on it when done :)
[/ATTACH]

just noticed the date and time on my camera is wrong

Attachments

• HPIM2967.jpg
    HPIM2967.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 126
  • HPIM2966.jpg
    HPIM2966.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 128

Varga

Your tank looks MASSIVE! sorry I cant respond quicker been very busy with work.

I just rolled mine on. bought the expensive rollers otherwise the hairs will come off of it since this paint is so very sticky and nasty. I dont think you could spray it. good luck.

you are making me want to build another one :D although I havent had time to look at my tank much. my huge birdsnest colony just RTN'ed and died over night!!!

Willie McDaries

Your tank looks MASSIVE! sorry I cant respond quicker been very busy with work.

I just rolled mine on. bought the expensive rollers otherwise the hairs will come off of it since this paint is so very sticky and nasty. I dont think you could spray it. good luck.

you are making me want to build another one :D although I havent had time to look at my tank much. my huge birdsnest colony just RTN'ed and died over night!!!

its 96"x36"x27",not much different than yours,I was going to make it 32"instead of 36" but I screwed up on my measuring and had it glued together before I noticed,but if your gonna mess up thats the way to do it ;) the water will only be about 23" to 24" deep,I"m gonna try to make a set of surge buckets and I figured the extra depth would be good

I had some fuzzy rollers that I tried,they didn't work so well,I used a foam roller,it did a lot better

sorry to hear that about the birdsnest

JoJo

Varg, sorry to hear aobut your birdnest buddy.

Willie, you tank is looking nice, you should put a link to it in your signature.

Willie McDaries

Varg, sorry to hear aobut your birdnest buddy.

Willie, you tank is looking nice, you should put a link to it in your signature.

JOJO,I'll post a link to photobucket.

I'll start a build thread when I get my glass in and stand built,:)

right now it's gonna be slow going they cut our hours at work and money is tight :(

I will take pics as I go and post them on photobucket

JoJo

dont wait until then, start the thread now. it will allow folks to keep up with the progress from the beginning and could help you prevent mistakes before they happen. people will be more likely to help/leave comments when they can easily view the progress through pics and keep up with your ideas

Willie McDaries

dont wait until then, start the thread now. it will allow folks to keep up with the progress from the beginning and could help you prevent mistakes before they happen. people will be more likely to help/leave comments when they can easily view the progress through pics and keep up with your ideas

yea I know,but I'm at a stand still right now,and don't know when I be able to do more on it,gonna be very slow going from here on out. :(

there you go JoJo I started the thread :) in my signature is a link

JoJo

way to go on the thread link Willie. dont worry about the slow going with the tank build, if you read my build you'd see i was at a stand still due to being laid off. things still havent got up to speed like i want it to yet

Willie McDaries

way to go on the thread link Willie. dont worry about the slow going with the tank build, if you read my build you'd see i was at a stand still due to being laid off. things still havent got up to speed like i want it to yet

I started reading last night,its like 116 pages long,I just skipped to the end :)
your aquascape looks great,thats like I plan to do this wood tank with the rock.

most of my reading has been on the wood tank builds here lately,

I did get some more done today with the top bracing :)

Varga

Hey everyone. I'm still here just hammered with work right now. do not have much time to look at the tank these days which is cool. Now I'm not glued to the tank and when I do look at it things have grown :D

I'm exited I got a new Imac 20!! soo happy :)

Willie McDaries

Hey everyone. I'm still here just hammered with work right now. do not have much time to look at the tank these days which is cool. Now I'm not glued to the tank and when I do look at it things have grown :D

I'm exited I got a new Imac 20!! soo happy :)

great to hear,I mean about the tank......not the hammered with work,although in the shape of the economy,this is somewhat good news....got any up to date pics of the tank.....

I blame you :laughroll for my plywood build,thank you Varga