Val's 55gal Freshwater planted community tank

Val

If something happens to these fish I might kick it up a notch. But this is more of a family tank. Granddaughters have had a hand in choosing fish and they like checking on their fish when they visit. I just can't change the tank due to the that.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
KUDOS for getting the whole family involved. I have some GREAT childhood memories (and a couple of well deserved BEATINGS) working with my parents in our MANY fresh water tanks.

Val

Having people to share it with makes it much more satisfying. My granddaughters and I have been researching fish together for the reef tank. I was surprised when the 4 year old wanted me to explain the sump/fuge/plumbing of the tank to her. Had to explain how the water flowed and everything. lol Then she explained it to her dad and was right about most of it.

Val

The new lights (2 bulb T5HO by Aquaticlife) went on a week or so ago and I decided to trim back the leggy plants. I discovered alot of fry in the back corner so I left that corner overgrown to give them some time to grow a bit. I'll get new pictures after I can trim that corner back.

Hopefully this new light will be enough but if it isn't I can add another and it'll link to the first one.

bbe22

Glad you found a light that you like. I know this pretty late in replying. I was going to recommend a Solarmax t5 cf ho double bulb. I actually own four of them, two on the reef tank, one on the planted tank (along with a t5 "shop light") and a smaller single bulb on my 20 gallon planted tank. Do you have any recent pictures of this tank?

Val

Sorry, it's in the process of being moved and half empty right now. Once it is in the new location I'll get pictures. I just bought a 180g for a new sw tank and I need the spot this one is in to set it up.

bbe22

No problem, when I say I know what it takes to move a tank, I speak from experience. I know what you are going through. I've got it down to perfection. Pump it down into bins and leave 2-3" of water, then find three other strong people to help you lift :). When I say moving, I don't mean around the house though, I moved tanks to Alabama from South Carolina, and back. Then I moved tanks from South Carolina to Maryland, and back. Then I moved tanks from my old house to my new house in the same area here in Charleston. Although when I moved from state to state I took all my livestock to the lfs and had it bagged with oxygen. It's never anything close to fun though. Hope it isn't too stressful for you.

I think that the last pics you put up of your fw tank were awesome, once everything is settled in I'd love to see more. Have a great night.

Val

The tank is moved, filled and the fish are back in it. Most of the plants are still in a smaller tank. I'll add them tomorrow. Moving a tank from one room to another is a major chore I can't imagine moving one from one state to another.

bbe22

It is never fun Val, it is always the last thing you put on the truck, and the first thing you take off. I haven't lost a single fish in a move yet, but I don't want to move a tank ever again. I'd almost rather have toe nails ripped out than do that again :)

Val

Here is a pic after the move. The tank isn't how I like it but it'll do until it moves back into the living room.

fw62710.jpg

DaveK

That's a very nice planted tank.

My plants never look so green, but most of that is because I have them under 6500K MHs.

DaveK

Yes, I do. This keeps the dust and dirt out and the fish in.

I know in many circles, this is considered "old school", but it's what seems to work best for me.

I may need to make some other changes also. The tank has been set up for years and uses standard aquarium gravel, with the bottom half laced with Laterite. It may be time to redo the substrata.

Val

Yes, I do. This keeps the dust and dirt out and the fish in.

I know in many circles, this is considered "old school", but it's what seems to work best for me.

I may need to make some other changes also. The tank has been set up for years and uses standard aquarium gravel, with the bottom half laced with Laterite. It may be time to redo the substrata.

I'm with you on the glass canopy. I use them too. I don't care for the liquid ferts but if the plants start losing color I will bury a few pellets in the substrate. Just an idea.

bbe22

You say you don't like it but I think it looks great. Very nice balance, plants and placement. The fish look very nice as well. Have you ever considered using peat moss as a buffer? I bought a pantyhose and stuffed it full of peat moss (making sure to buy the chemical free variety) and threw it in my sump. My ph (6.0) stays constant in that tank, even when I pour 5 gallons of 7.8 tap into it. It does add a tea colored tint to the water, but it fades pretty rapidly.

DaveK

I'm with you on the glass canopy. I use them too. I don't care for the liquid ferts but if the plants start losing color I will bury a few pellets in the substrate. Just an idea.

Yea, most of the liquid fertilizers just add stuff you don't want, and create a massive unwanted algae growth.

It's possible there may be a problem with some of the other elements needed. I'm think along the lines of magnesium and iron. I'll have to check into that and see if there is an issue.

Years ago it was possible to get Laterite balls or pellets, but I've not seen them in years. Ideally, I'd like to replace the substrata with one of the newer ones, but that gets expensive fast in a 90 gal tank.

bbe22

You aren't kidding. I'd love to replace my substrate with Flourite, but it just costs too much. I got a small grain gravel in bulk from Lowe's and paid maybe $10 to give me about two inches. I never vacuum my tank. I let the detritus act as a fertilizer. Never lost a single fish (other than to being sucked into the overflow) in this particular tank. The plants thrive, and the fish do even better. I respectfully disagree on the fertilizer thing though. I used to use Sera brand fert and iron sup, now I just use Seachem brand Flourish.All of the above are liquids. I don't disagree that dry versions are very affective, I'm just saying I've had wonderful results with the high quality liquid varieties. I fertilize once a month, and a few days afterward I always find myself trimming, clipping, and trading. There's pics on my link in my siggy :)

Val

You say you don't like it but I think it looks great. Very nice balance, plants and placement. The fish look very nice as well. Have you ever considered using peat moss as a buffer? I bought a pantyhose and stuffed it full of peat moss (making sure to buy the chemical free variety) and threw it in my sump. My ph (6.0) stays constant in that tank, even when I pour 5 gallons of 7.8 tap into it. It does add a tea colored tint to the water, but it fades pretty rapidly.

thanks, it's a nice tank. It's been basically the same for a long time. I'm ready for a change. When I get a few other projects done I'll revisit this one. There are some plants I'd like use that I don't have yet.

I've never tried peat as a buffer. I may have to give it a try. :)

Val

Yea, most of the liquid fertilizers just add stuff you don't want, and create a massive unwanted algae growth.

It's possible there may be a problem with some of the other elements needed. I'm think along the lines of magnesium and iron. I'll have to check into that and see if there is an issue.

Years ago it was possible to get Laterite balls or pellets, but I've not seen them in years. Ideally, I'd like to replace the substrata with one of the newer ones, but that gets expensive fast in a 90 gal tank.

I'm out right now but I think the pellets I use are made by the same company that Flourish is. I'd recognize the package but can't think of the name. I have been happy with the results. I hear ya about changing substrate even doing a 50/50 mix can be costly.