UVL T5 V-HOR Bulb

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I know UVL has had these out for several months now but wondering if anyone has tried them?

UVL T5 V-HOR Bulb
Variable High Output - Reflector

This is your standard UVL T5 bulb but has a built-in 180 Degree Internal Reflector

Some of the "Gurus" over on RC have suggested this if you don't have IDR's in your fixture. I've got the Current Outer Orbit 4x54w T5, 2x150w MH and I can't figure any way to get IDR's into the narrow channels where ther T5's are. So I'm trying to squeeze every ounce of energy out of this fixture!!

Anyone tried them and can give pros/cons of them?

razorvines

I am glad you clarified what HOR stood for AL..... :smack:

I haven't seen them yet, but would like to give them a try.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm thinking about them myself. Not everyone is carrying them yet which makes me wonder but I did notice an increase with R and Non-R on some UVL PC bulbs I used to run. From their website

Description
Main Features

Benefits of the T5 v-ho reflector lamp:
# Higher par and lumen value than standard or non reflector T5 ho lamps - up to 20% brighter
# 180 degree internal reflector adds 30%+ more concentrated light intensity
# more consistent heat dispertion which adds to longevity of life
# higher color rendering index for more accurate true color dimension

razorvines

Actually was hoping they had them in just HO but they don't. Of course I would also need them in 60" and that is next to impossible.
So doesn't look like I will be trying them anytime soon.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
They are HO depending on what ballast you're running. Now 60" that's a whole other challenge.

razorvines

So I could replace my HO bulbs with those? I thought I had to have the VHO ballasts.
I have two light fixtures over my 125 right now. A 2 bulb 60" T5 and a 4 bulb nova extreme 48" T5. Neither of them have individual reflectors. I am currently running Geissman 4 - AquaBlue and two Actinic +.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's correct. In my understanding it's not "truely" V-HO unless it's on a ballast over-driving it. The V- stands for Variable which I think means it can take OVER-DRIVING to 80W.

razorvines

So that would seem like you would get better bulb life out of a VHO bulb not being over driven. Those HOR bulbs are the same price as the geissmans too. Adding the individual reflectors on top of that seems to be a win-win situation. Anybody else have any input to this?

razorvines

Al,
What kind of fixture do you have on your 90? I am guessing your tank is probably about the same depth as my 125 tall.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Al - if you get them I'll be following along to see what you think. Will you be running them as HO, or upgrading your ballast?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Al - if you get them I'll be following along to see what you think. Will you be running them as HO, or upgrading your ballast?

HO with stock ballast. If I were to upgrade ballast I would go all out and do 6x54w(od - 80) with IDR's and the works!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
OK on the HO/stock ballast. If you proceed let us know what you think. Till now I didn't know the VHOR bulbs could be run as HO. If I hadn't just replaced my T5s I might have tried them.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
OK on the HO/stock ballast. If you proceed let us know what you think. Till now I didn't know the VHOR bulbs could be run as HO. If I hadn't just replaced my T5s I might have tried them.

I guess I need to ask a "Bulb" guru but I was under the impression the bulb isn't V-HO unless the ballast is pushing it that way. I was told (not the most reliable source but fairly intelligent) that VHO bulbs are designed to be able the HANDLE the higher wattage and last longer at the wattage than HO but will operate correctly on HO ballasts.

Bulb guru you out there?

DaveK

I know UVL has had these out for several months now but wondering if anyone has tried them?

UVL T5 V-HOR Bulb
Variable High Output - Reflector

This is your standard UVL T5 bulb but has a built-in 180 Degree Internal Reflector

Considering how "well" 180 degree internal reflectors worked in T12 VHO bulbs, which is to say almost no benefit at all, I have to say that I'm quite a sceptic here. I can't help but feel you would be better off with T5 bulbs and individual reflectors backing them up.

I'd go with the more conventional bulbs unless someone could actually demonstrate that the internal reflector bulbs gave you more light.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
The 'V" is just marketing. The UVL (and ATI) bulbs are all capable of running at HO or VHO (i.e., overdriven). Very convenient as these are my two favorite brands.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The 'V" is just marketing. The UVL (and ATI) bulbs are all capable of running at HO or VHO (i.e., overdriven). Very convenient as these are my two favorite brands.

It's almost humorous that the "V" doesn't even designate "VERY" but "Variable".