• ....used only for a few weeks at a time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ....used only when new fish are added

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • OTHER

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

billyr98

i run an aqua-uv 80w on my 400g system... I have copepods all over my tank and my refugium.. I run it 24/7.. There is a lot of good points in this thread.. But I am going to continue my usage...

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Originally Posted by JFK_Jr
Just curious... did you get the model with the built in wiper?

That seems like a neat feature to cut down on maintenance.

Absolutely! :)

Cool... I remember my quartz sleeve would need to be cleaned quite often on the unit I ran. That wiper is probably the best upgrade to UV sterilizers since they've been around.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Definately an option to get. The directions recommend 'wiping' at least once a week. It also states that some metals are attracted to the quartz sleve so it still needs to be removed and cleaned when the bulb is replaced.

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
i dont see any relevance from your bibligraphy and the topic. no where in any of the above articles mention timeframes or light dark issues. they talk about contact tims and strength horizontal vs vertical and the last study date was 1993.

Here it is:

Can UV Sterilizers have negative effects?
Yes. UV can alter the structure of some dissolved chemical compounds. When using any drug or chemical medication check the directions for the drug or chemical to see if you should turn off your UV when using the drug or medication.

Many aquarists only use the UV at night. There are many free floating beneficial planktonic animals in the water that come out at night that can be killed by a uv sterilizer. Because of this many aquarists only run their uv during the day. You can put it on the same timer as your lighting system.

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/sterilizers.html

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Yes. UV can alter the structure of some dissolved chemical compounds. When using any drug or chemical medication check the directions for the drug or chemical to see if you should turn off your UV when using the drug or medication.

Of course and drugs should not be used in a reef tank to begin with. Ozone will alter chemcials more than UV and many use Ozone 24/7. Altering chemicals may be a good thing not a bad thing. A reason behind ozone.

Many aquarists only use the UV at night.

I have never heard of one that I recall and have like 100,000 posts on boards but I will not say some do not. I'm sure some may, just like some do not use ozone 24/7 but I dont' buy "many" at all.

There are many free floating beneficial planktonic animals in the water that come out at night that can be killed by a uv sterilizer.

As I said not really so. Do you shut-off your skimmer at night > As that is the same reasoning. Seen any plankton counts on reef tanks day vs night ?

Last edited:

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick

Of course and drugs should not be used in a reef tank to begin with. Ozone will alter chemcials more than UV and many use Ozone 24/7. Altering chemicals may be a good thing not a bad thing. A reason behind ozone.

Many aquarists only use the UV at night.

I have never heard of one that I recall and have like 100,000 posts on broads but I will not day some do not. I'm sure some may, just like some do not use ozone 24/7 but I dont' buy "many" at all.

There are many free floating beneficial planktonic animals in the water that come out at night that can be killed by a uv sterilizer.

As I said not really so. Do you shut-off your skimmer at night > As that is the same reasoning. Seen any plankton counts on reef tanks day vs night ?

I am not saying you are wrong or the info from the link I found is wrong, but..... you both have different opinions, just like any other topic, wether it be reef keeping, medical, sports, etc. etc. etc.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Plumbing sketch...

It will be plumbed in this weekend....

plumbing.jpg

Witfull

I am not saying you are wrong or the info from the link I found is wrong, but..... you both have different opinions, just like any other topic, wether it be reef keeping, medical, sports, etc. etc. etc.

this is true,but our opinions are based on years of experience and talking with many reefers and professionals, not from a sales brochure. there are many ways to do a reef. but one thing i can say without fear of contradiction, a reeftank is not a reef. there are many aspects of a reef we cannot or should not reproduce in a tank.

if you look around at spectacular reef setups you will find that some use UV, others dont. one thing they have in common, they look great. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/subject/totm.php and i havent seen one person in their tank bio say they run the UV on a timer. i do know other reefers that have a UV but its not on, but have it for an emergency. like i said different ways of doing things.