• OTHER

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
interesting typo there Boomer

In my dreams booze :lol::lol:

Woody
Nice table Woody but it has info missing from it:D See those uW/cm^2 and gallon values. Do they give anywhere what is achieved at those settings ? Is that suppose to be for sterlization uW/cm^2 value, for the gallons in the column, which I will assume it is ? How many uW/cm^2 are you getting for 70 gal of SW ? It does not say. Where is the flow rate for 70 gals of SW. Or are they saying anything less than 1000 GPH will achieve sterilization ? That uW/cm^2 is meaningless with out time. It is suppose to be uW/sec/cm^2. You should get that book I posted on my other post.

At least it looks like you are doing it right :thumbup:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
:smack: Ummm Boomer, do me a big favor and I will buy you a drink (or 2) at MACNA this year... direct that question to the company:

TO SPEAK WITH A TECHNICAL SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE
CALL 1-800-454-2725
OR (951) 296-3480
Mon - Fri 8:00am - 4:30pm
PACIFIC STANDARD TIME.​

Boomer

you both have different opinions,

Many so called opinions are not options but nonsense, incorrect and wrong due to a lack of understanding of the subject matter or subject in question. No that I'm saying this UV discussion is not a true opinion, as it is.

Example;

"It is my opinion that reef tanks should have the Ca++ at 400 -450 ppm for corals to grow right. " That is nonsense, incorrect and wrong. Corals are not limited by Ca++. At 360 ppm corals grow at the same rate as 400-425. And corals limit for Ca++ and achievng the normal growth rate is well below 360 ppm. Light, pH, Alk, temp and PO4 are what really limit coral growth, not calcium. However, we always should try to keep tanks at NSW values, as we know they do well at NSW values. And yes that itself is an opinion.

DaveK

... My UV sterilizer can sterilize over 967 gallons of water every hour (10 x turnover rate for my tank). That flow rate is at the strong killing power of 90,000 uw/cm2 (EOL). ...

This is a very important point on the use of UV. You are using a killing dose of UV. Many people that have used UV often use a far lower dose, and in these cases UV will not be effective.

I'm still not sold on UV, after having used it previously, but you are at least taking the correct approach.

Good luck and keep us posted. It will be interesting to see how you feel about UV in a few years.

pmac90

I'll be there this year - and i'll be sailing- captain all night!! you hear me booze??

I run a little 16 watt turbo twist from my main pump up and it gets about 400 gph through it. works better then that garlic cr@p!! so, i'm sticking to it.
now i gotta go back and read the rest of the thread. Boomers post more then once.

lcstorc

I run UV and add garlic for my tank. If nothing else it at least makes my mush smell like garlic instead of like fish. :)

Boomer

So muchn for tech support. I called 3 times to day and the phone just rings at TS. Sorry, Woody but 3 strikes and you're out :D

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I don't use a UV Doni so I can't be of any help. My theory/opinion is a mature tank loaded with filter feeders will help control the parasites floating around in my tank...lol

billyr98

So muchn for tech support. I called 3 times to day and the phone just rings at TS. Sorry, Woody but 3 strikes and you're out :D

Are you trying to call aquaUV?

I called them when I was setting up my tank and they were very helpful and answered.. I might have to agree with the caller id.. :)