Useful Life of Red Sea Max 250 T5 Lamps

Putt

Good day to all,
I have read that the useful life of T5 lamps is around nine months to one year. My RSM 250 tank and lamps are now about seven months old. Things just aren’t the same lately, some new algae, corals have been doing very well, but now just so so. Water chemistry is constant and within recommended parameters with the exception of Ph = 8.0 and alkalinity usually running around 8.0 dKH. I have started dossing Two Little Fishies C-Balance, 20ml each A & B, every other day, I have no SPS, waiting for aquarium to be well seasoned and perfect water parameters. Is it possible that RSM T5 lamps could be inferior as far as useful life compared to other brands?
11/13/2012
Temp = 77.2, Salinity = 1.026, Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 0, Phosphate = .02, Alkalinity = 7.8, Calcium = 410, Magnesium = 1340

Advance thanks,

Putt

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I replace my T5's between nine months to one year - as is recommended from what I have read - if this helps any. I do run ATI german bulbs

Acanman

I too use ATI bulbs. I swap them every 6 months. Corals dont seem stressed at the 6 month mark but when i turn on the new bulbs you see a dramatic difference in light. its shocking how much color and brightness Is lost just after 6 months of 9 hr per day usage.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I too use ATI bulbs. I swap them every 6 months. Corals dont seem stressed at the 6 month mark but when i turn on the new bulbs you see a dramatic difference in light. its shocking how much color and brightness Is lost just after 6 months of 9 hr per day usage.

This is what I was searching for....thinking I will get NEW bulbs ordered. Now just to search out info as to which T5's to order.
Gotta love RS for good info :D
Any suggestions as to what's NEW & IMPROVED are appreciated as this thread gets a bump up :bump:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I've purchased all my bulbs in the past from Reefgeek - Home page

They have great customer service so one thing you can do is send them an email telling them what you are looking for in your lights (particular color, coral growth, etc.) and they will respond back with a recommendation.

New lights are always a tough decision and a lot of it comes down to personal taste. Good luck!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks Greg...just my short little searches for info on what to order for replacements is MIND BOGGLING :lookaroun

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks Greg...just my short little searches for info on what to order for replacements is MIND BOGGLING :lookaroun

LOL exactly!! I went through the same thing in the last few years. That's why I emailed reefgeeks and said I am looking for x,y,z and took their recommendation. The only problem is if you don't like the new look, you are stuck with it for 9 - 12 months or shell out the money for new bulbs.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
LOL exactly!! I went through the same thing in the last few years. That's why I emailed reefgeeks and said I am looking for x,y,z and took their recommendation. The only problem is if you don't like the new look, you are stuck with it for 9 - 12 months or shell out the money for new bulbs.

EXACTLY what I'm thinking too! I don't want even 6 months of a doom & gloom look because I ordered bulbs that I don't like the looks of. Makes me want to just order the same ones that came with my tank...but I really don't even know what's in there :yup:
Guess I should take them out & see if it says on the bulbs....I know there are only 2 kinds and they are installed alternately.
I will order from ReefGeeks....seems to be the RS Forum choice of best place.

Oxylebius

I've purchased all my bulbs in the past from Reefgeek - Home page

They have great customer service so one thing you can do is send them an email telling them what you are looking for in your lights (particular color, coral growth, etc.) and they will respond back with a recommendation.

New lights are always a tough decision and a lot of it comes down to personal taste. Good luck!

+1 - ReefGeek is very helpful. Lighting does come down to your particular taste.

RSM bulbs have tended to provide more of a white/yellow color to tanks. Many reefers tend to switch to more of the blue colors. I really don't like blue lighted tanks so I mixed the bulbs up so that I have my sps colors pop and not have a blue colored tank. I like more of a natural light w/slight coloration toward the blue and making sure my white sand is white and not blue/white and making sure that my red/orange colors aren't tending towards the blue/purple colors.

It took me awhile and buying many bulbs before I found the color spectrum that I like. Now I'm in the process of slowly using all those bulbs so that it wasn't a waste of money.

The order of bulbs I use and like are listed below (placed in tank from front to back):
ATI Coral Plus
RS Actinic
ATI Coral Plus
RS Actinic
RS 10,000K
ATI Actinic

Reefgeek doesn't carry RS bulbs, you will have to pick them up elsewhere, I special order in bulk (5-6 of each) from Marine Depot.

KarlyBoy

Diana, Take a look at the 'newish' Red Sea Reef Spec T5, still 34w, but a much higher Kelvin in comparison to stock, I use 3xBlueWhite, 2xActinic, 1x Pink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Diana, Take a look at the 'newish' Red Sea Reef Spec T5, still 34w, but a much higher Kelvin in comparison to stock, I use 3xBlueWhite, 2xActinic, 1x Pink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't think those bulbs are available in the US yet...