Urgent-moving An Established Rsm 130d Today Any Tips????

Yeh im planning to go in a few hours i cant leave right now, and this biospira stuff is widely available ? And anyone with experience of it working for them?

Ok so spoke to the LFS im getting the biospira, and he also recommended an ammonia detox so the ammonia doesnt become nitrite.....its a tetra or kent product, is this safe to use with the corals and anemone???

Thanks guys, should have this in a few hours, I dont think the levels are enough to run immediately out to door but im planning to have it in there in 6 hours or so...

Sound good?

Sorry i a relative newbie and this is my first RSM setup and reef set up so I really really appreciate everyones help and input

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Bio-Spira isn't found at a lot of places, but maybe your LFS will have it. At least the newest version doesn't require refrigeration, which kept a lot from carrying it in the past. There may also be other live bacteria additives also available. Prodibio may have a good one too. the Bio-Spira has worked for me extremely well in both FW and SW. Turn the skimmer off for a day or two or you'll just skim out any of the bacterial additives.

You're seeing what I expected, after stirring things up in the tank move, but your levels of ammonia and nitrite could have been a lot higher than they are. That's in your favor of having a quick mini-cycle, and it may be over in a day or two. How are the fish? If they're OK that's a good sign that you did a good job in the move and didn't have a huge ammonia spike occur. I had a crash in a small tank I had - I pulled out all the bio-media at once, and the next morning the fish & inverts were all dead. Even though there was no measurable ammonia that morning after, it obviously spiked at a high level that night. You seem to be beyond that happening if the fish are OK. (fingers crossed)

Be sure the ammonia detox is reef safe - it probably is. It may cause the skimmer to go crazy, but if you add any bacteria the skimmer should be off for a while anyway.

Sapphire

Agreed - I think you need to try and get that nitrate out as fast as possible - especilly as I htink you have an anemone, that won't tolerate it).

I'm not sure which products you have to get rid of ammonia but as Terry said do check if they are reef safe....... many are but still check.

Ok,

10% water change, biospira in place, and skimmer off! With skimmer off though I feel its the "6 to 1 half a dozen the other" situation!

Anyways.....how long does anyone recommend leaving the skimmer off?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
never used it before... I would go with the 48 I think...

if it helps... I don't think not running the skimmer for 48 hours anytime... would hurt a thing...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
irishmarine - I agree on being concerned about not running the skimmer at a time when it's probably really needed. Maybe just hold off till morning, or if you think it's critical flip the switch now. I'm sure it won't pull out every bacterial cell. I'd be tempted myself to turn the skimmer on now. Tough decision.

mbdave

Wow, well IMHO I would have used nothing and left the tank alone for awhile. The fish move have them stressed, I'm sure now doing a bunch of stuff like additives and water changes will just stress them more, "the first pic of the tank it looked very healthy" so 3 hours of move is not very long at all. 20ppm nitrate for a week or two, "so what" thats not real bad for a short period just don't let your feeding get out of hand. Even the trace amount of ammonia will probably be gone over night at the longest if not I would get a second opinion "different test" remember "stress" kills more fish and coral then any other thing so keeping stress to a absolute minimum is the way to go. Personally I would let things be for a week and stay away from the glass as not to startle the fish, and then in a week do a 5 gallon WC. Give them some mysis shrimp and a nice quiet week to get back to normal.
Hope you have good luck and a beautiful tank,
Dave

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Dave - the Bio-Spira is just a bacterial additive so no harm will come from that, and the stuff does work. Good points though.

irishmarine - let us know what the tests look like today, and pics if you get some!

Lab results after a 10% water change and then biospira added

NO CHANGE!

As a research biochemist I can say this product does nothing for an established aquarium, as for starting up an aquarium maybe it does!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I am sure no biochemist... but if stirring up an established sank bed can cause an ammonia spike, that can result in you killing your fish... then thier below claim must be false...

BIO-Spira prevents new-tank syndrome by accelerating the establishment of the bacteria necessary for successful biological filtration. In just minutes after adding BIO-Spira to your saltwater aquarium, you can introduce your fish with full confidence that they will not be exposed to dangerous levels of ammonia or nitrite, the culprits that cause new-tank syndrome.

It must be!

Im sure it introduces bacteria but to what effect? I believe it may kick start a new tank, but make little difference to an established tank!

I dont know but ive tested it before and after and no change happened so all im saying is take what you want from that!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Might be a new tank syndrome (ammonia spike from siring up sand bed) never happened... if so, it didn't do anything to neutralize the ammonia spike, because one never occurred... but that just a guess...

I am really not sure how it works... I have always been amazed that they claim you can start up a new tank & add fish ... not only the same day, but just minutes after adding thier product. Just seems if this is true... it could also be safe to add thier product & then fish right away, after stiring up a sand bed which can start an ammonia spike...

How about we try it with their fish? lol I know for a fact I would never try that! anyways thats my feedback sorry it didnt conform to the belief, kinda disappointing!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'm surprised the Bio-Spira did nothing, unless the spike in ammonia is still going on. Or maybe with fully cured rock and fish in a new tank, and the bacteria in at the same time it works better. I even started up a small tank with dead rock and fish & Bio-Spira added within a few days and never saw a measurable cycle, using multiple test kits. But it obviously seems to have done nothing on moving an established and mature tank. What test kits are you using?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I just hate you wasted your time & money on it, if you don't think it did anything...

I have never used the product... but I have read several post of sucess with it... I just remember reading a lot of post... that said... you can cause a spike that make you lose your fish if you stir up the tank when moving, lots of mini-cycles have happened & post says they lost all thier fish...

Glad it didn't happen to you :)

If/when I recommended it again... I will add a disclaimer :) I appericated the feedback !

Hey no problem, I mean im still glad u recommended it, it was only lik $20 or something! Seriously, I appreciated your advice.... its just part of the hobby to learn these things