Upgrading Tank need suggestions (lights-skimmer)

Kman237

Hello, I am upgrading my tank to a Planet Aquarium 85 gallon rimless tank. The Crystalline series. Dimensions are 48"x20"x21".

Looking at buying the Trigger - Tideline 30 gallon sump.
http://www.triggersys.com/test/tideline-specs-2/

Any suggestions on what skimmer to use and what lights. I want to run LED's.
I have Hydra 26's over my nano and like them. I'm thinking about maybe going with EcoTech Radion's.

Any suggestion or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kman

Kenreefer

Hey kman,
I'm new reefer but from looking and buying seems like octopus reef classic 150 skimmer and lights two possibles Ai prime two I have these and you control it with your phone app, you can piggy back the second one off the settings of the first. Or two kessil 160 they are manual settings but stronger leds. Hope this helps.

DaveK

If your looking at the Trigger Tideline sump, consider the Trigger Ruby series of sumps. The Ruby shouldn't cost that much more, and is better design as far as the refugium section goes.

I recently had to replace my very old sump, and faced a similar problem. I got a Trigger Ruby sump because this was a running tank, and I wanted to replace it quickly. I really should do a tank thread on all the upgrades I've done to the tank recently. I replaced a lot of gear.

As for a skimmer, I think any decent skimmer will work just fine.

On lighting, I'd say it was a toss up between AI and EcoTech. Since the tank is 48" long, two fixtures would work, but three would give you better coverage.

Yea, I know, all these goodies get expensive fast.

louienardi

I'm also trying to figure out what to use for a sump. Going with a 90 gallon display and kicking around potentially a 90 gallon sump.... But looking for design ideas.
I like the trigger system sumps been researching them.... But I'd like more water volume

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

DaveK

I'm also trying to figure out what to use for a sump. Going with a 90 gallon display and kicking around potentially a 90 gallon sump.... But looking for design ideas.
I like the trigger system sumps been researching them.... But I'd like more water volume

This brings up the question, what do you plan to do with that added water volume?

If your talking about more water volume so you can get a larger refugium in there, or something similar, then go that route. If you just want more water in the system, it's not going to do that much for you.

louienardi

This brings up the question, what do you plan to do with that added water volume?

If your talking about more water volume so you can get a larger refugium in there, or something similar, then go that route. If you just want more water in the system, it's not going to do that much for you.
Yeah. I certainly want a good size Refugium within.... Trying to figure out the right dimensions for it all.

GMANONER

Is it a general rule that you should get the biggest sump refugium possible that you have space for? The more water volume the less water fluctuations right?

DaveK

Is it a general rule that you should get the biggest sump refugium possible that you have space for? The more water volume the less water fluctuations right?

There is nothing wrong with a large sump, but keep in mind that the amount of water it's going to actually hold isn't that much, especially when compared to the volume of the display tank. For example, you typically only have a sump about half full of water.

Unless your doing something like putting a sump that hold 50 gal of water on a 20 gal tank, it's best not to even count the sump volume as far as livestock capacity goes.

As for less fluctuations due to the water volume, with a sump I'd call it a toss up. The additional volume is nice, but you'll also have a much higher evaporation rate with a sump.

A larger sump can make it easier to include all the equipment you want in it. With a smaller one you really need to plan how it's all going to fit. On the other hand a large sump is that much more you need to clean and keep after.