Types of Thermometers You Use

Berk

I was curious as to the different types of thermometers that people are using to monitor their tanks. I have been through 2 American Marine Wireless thermometers that where both off by 5-7 degrees. I am currently using a glass thermometer and a $7 Coralife digital that seem to be working ok but I am looking to get something else. What does everyone else use and how accurate has it been?

FCatCH76

I have gone through many lfs shelf thermos. I spent alittle more money on a Tom's thermo w/ warning sensor (bad idea for rsm 250 which runs hot anyway). I now use a food grade sysco brand stainless steel thermo, accurate to the .001 because you can calibrate it using ice water.

I use the Coralife one.
I have been through at least 3 of them.
I tried a different one as well but it had a metal sensor, thought it was stainless, but it started to rust!

JimmyJ

I also use the Coralife Digital along with the glass type to verify. Didn't think about using cooking thermometers, I think I will put my digital cooking one to the test and then have an extra verification.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Whatever type you use, it's a good idea to check it periodically against a good quality glass thermometer. As mentioned above digitals can give faulty readings as they age, and as the batteries age. If you take good care of it a glass thermometer will last forever - not convenient to keep in the tank, but great to check your other thermometers.

Something like this

Many times the "old way" is the best way. :)

audemars

I use a merc glass thermo, coralife, an aqua-minder, and a JBJ temp controller. I am a little obsessive about the temp. the JBJ ROCKS! you just calibrate it to what your glass merc reads and you can see at a glance across the room what your temp is and have the peace of mind knowing you will never cook your tank.

russbooger

Marina Aqua Minder, cheap as chips, gives readout in centigrade and fahrenheit with low and high temp alarms. Also has audible reminders for water changes, filter maintenance and tank overhaul. Best £20 I ever spent!