Tyler's Reef In Progress

TylerHaworth

Well, it has begun... The first piece (the stand) has been ordered and will be here Monday... Sump/Refugium construction will be the second step once I have the stand in person to determine space constraints...

Here are my plans for hardware, which are about 90%-100% concrete at this point.

75 Gallon AGA Megaflow Display Tank
29 Gallon Sump/Refugium
Quiet One 4000 Return Pump
Azoo Titanium 300w heater
2x Hydor Koralia #3 Powerheads
ASM G-1 Protein Skimmer with Sedra 3500
Coralife Aqualights with Lunar Lights
75 Pounds of Live Rock

Next installment will arrive when I have the time to work on the Sump/Fuge!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sounds like you're well on your way to a nice system!

KUDOS for going slow :) You'll LOVE that skimmer :D

TylerHaworth

First official update.

Stand came in today, was hoping to begin sump/fuge construction this evening... One problem though...

They sent me the wrong color stand!

So... Until Next Monday... I'm stuck, hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come

Mya

Oh thats just how it goes. You take one step forward in reefing and 3 steps back because something small goes wrong...

Just tough it out. Its going to have its ups and downs. This is just the first test of ur patience in reefing..

TylerHaworth

New updates... Not much... but some progress!

18x48 Black Pine Stand is here... not the most beautiful but it's satisfactory

20G Long tank for sump/fuge is here, baffles have been measured and mocked up with cardboard and the glass company will have a visitor tomorrow

75 Gallon AGA Megaflow pre-drilled tank ordered, delivery set for Monday

Nova Extreme Pro 48" 6x54 T5HO fixture ordered, delivery should be taken within the next week to 10 days

Nothing picture-worthy in this one, but things are starting to get rolling!

TylerHaworth

Another small update. Some (crappy) pictures!

First off... the AGA Black Pine stand... Not beautiful but... meh :cool:

IMG_0047.jpg

Second... my sump/fuge... After construction I have about 6.7-7.0 gallons of empty space available in case of a power outage... should I drill the tank at the top of the return side and route a hose into an extra bucket in case the backflow exceeds that amount?

IMG_0046.jpg

:jester:

TylerHaworth

Tank arrived today... Marineland pre-drilled 75 gallon came instead of AGA... ANOTHER error from the distributor (not LFS error, because I listened to the order take place.)

Wouldn't really be an issue, but... the two tanks are essentially identical except the Marineland/Perfecto tank is about 1/4 of an inch deeper and wider than the AGA stand allows... yay... another setback!

TylerHaworth

SHOULD have correct tank/stand combination Monday. Finally.

In the meantime, I've been turning over the possible stocking plans seriously... As of now I like... These critters come to be about 3.25 inches of fish per gallon of water fully grown if I end up with a total of 75 gallons after sump+fuge+display

Oscellaris Clown
Powder Brown Tang
Flame Angel
Midas Blenny
Blackcap Basslet

TylerHaworth

Another small update. Slow and Steady!

Kent Marine Maxxima Deluxe RO/DI unit ordered today...

ViaAqua 300w Titanium heater came in the mail today, feels/appears to be a high quality product...
Randomstuffs001.jpg

Also, 48" Catalina 4x54w fixture made it via Fedex... So I decided to set everything up in a temporary spot...
Randomstuffs002.jpg

Miltonic

looking good, I can't wait to see it set up. :)

btw, I think I might get myself one of those eaters for my tank since it looks very trustworthy.

TylerHaworth

Yeah, I can't say anything about how well it works or it's actual durability, but upon physical inspection it seems to be a much better product than the heaters I have used in my freshwater tanks.

TylerHaworth

I can't wait to see the real progress, I should have the rest of my hardware in the next week or two... Too bad I'm not moving into my new place for another month! argh!

That month or so is gonna be so rough knowing I have everything just chillin in the corner at my parents house waiting!

TylerHaworth

So, I'm having a typical dilemma here...

I've recently begun falling in love with some of the LPS corals... Along with some of the ever popular softies... I, however, do not like the SPS corals... they seem too... rigid and lifeless for me...

My dilemma... how much success would you seasoned veterans predict I have keeping LPS and softies with my meager Catalina Aquarium 4x54w T5 fixture?

Also, with two Koralia 3's along with the ~650gph from my return, would you guess my flow will be too high or too low for the potential LPS and softies to thrive?