Tyler's Reef In Progress

Basile

Ok, just a couple days into the cycle and I've got a major problem...

This shrimp STINKS something fierce... I can't deal with it, neither can my girlfriend, and my dog even seems to be deterred from the living room... The stench is overpowering candles, febreze, and every other type of deodorant you can imagine...

What to do!?

How many did you put, how big , i had one i barely noticed it while cycling the tank.LOL LOL sorry can't help it LOL.:wave: Peace bro LOL.

TylerHaworth

Pictures incoming!

Full Tank Shot!
DSC03699.jpg

Different Angles
DSC03702.jpg

DSC03703.jpg

DSC03705.jpg

Basile

Pictures incoming!

Full Tank Shot!
DSC03699.jpg

Different Angles
DSC03702.jpg

DSC03703.jpg

DSC03705.jpg

Too bad the camera can't record the smell ! Just kidding bro. well its gona go away soon. The bacterias will do their thing an soon no more smell, hang in there; thats all i can give ya.

TylerHaworth

Alright, I pulled the shrimp out today... I refuse to tolerate that smell... Hopefully live rock die-off, plus the Arag-alive sand, plus the bacterial starter, plus the little bit of decay from the shrimp will be enough to let the cycle go...

Basile

Alright, I pulled the shrimp out today... I refuse to tolerate that smell... Hopefully live rock die-off, plus the Arag-alive sand, plus the bacterial starter, plus the little bit of decay from the shrimp will be enough to let the cycle go...

You can also buy some bacteria to help jump start your tank. But it could also be your live rock, some really stink, so IT could be the culprate of that smell, cause from my experience when i did mine , the shrimp was total and the smell i can't even remember the smell, so...

TylerHaworth

Yeah, I started with the bottled bacteria the same day I put the rock in which was about a day before the shrimp went in... My home smells good again without that filthy bugger stinking up the place!

TylerHaworth

I know I've thrown out a million "potential stocking" lists... but now that I'm cycling I really need to figure this out... I've got 82 Gallons of water to work with and a very ample skimmer...

My goal with the fish is to have a pleasing array of color, and to be generally and fairly reliably reef-safe... Right now my list looks like... From small to large...

Royal Gramma - 3" - Purple/Yellow
Six Line Wrasse - 3" - Blue/Green/Orange
Oscellaris Clownfish - 3.5" - Orange/White
Flame Angelfish - 4" - Red/Black/Blue
One Spot Foxface - 7" - Yellow/Black/White
Powder Blue Tang - 9" - Blue/Black/Yellow/White

Total Inches: 29.5 - Total Gallons: 82 - Inches per Gallon: 2.8"

Input? Comments? Praise? Reprimands? Warnings?

jgking21

I like all of those fish, except the Royal Gramma. I had one once and he was mean and nasty, would go after my hand when I went in the tank. Otherwise I like your list, but I'm no stock expert. Good job on keeping it semi light, you know how we can go overboard sometimes! :thumber:

Basile

I know I've thrown out a million "potential stocking" lists... but now that I'm cycling I really need to figure this out... I've got 82 Gallons of water to work with and a very ample skimmer...

My goal with the fish is to have a pleasing array of color, and to be generally and fairly reliably reef-safe... Right now my list looks like... From small to large...

Royal Gramma - 3" - Purple/Yellow
Six Line Wrasse - 3" - Blue/Green/Orange
Oscellaris Clownfish - 3.5" - Orange/White
Flame Angelfish - 4" - Red/Black/Blue
One Spot Foxface - 7" - Yellow/Black/White
Powder Blue Tang - 9" - Blue/Black/Yellow/White

Total Inches: 29.5 - Total Gallons: 82 - Inches per Gallon: 2.8"

Input? Comments? Praise? Reprimands? Warnings?

I would have 2 clown if i was you, they are better looking that way. saw a tank with only one. It seem odd , not cool, i was searching for the other when i was told their was only one.IMO And yes it is a big stock; maybe take out the foxface or the tang.

jgking21

He went after your hand... How was he with other fish? I thought the Gramma was supposed to be a docile fish...

I can't remember if there was anyone else in the tank. He didn't last long with me. At that time I may have had a clown, but that would have been it. He just always looks ticked off, so I figured they were a territorial fish.

TylerHaworth

Is this really overstocking? I figured ~3 gallons per inch at MAX size would be a fairly safe load, since most of the fish will arrive at about 1/3 of their maximum size... and may never even grow to be that big in the end.

Basile

Is this really overstocking? I figured ~3 gallons per inch at MAX size would be a fairly safe load, since most of the fish will arrive at about 1/3 of their maximum size... and may never even grow to be that big in the end.

You've got a 75 G tank right? and its 1 inch/ 5 gallons ; so 29.5 inch X 5 = 147 Gallons tank. You have a 75G.:yehoo: For a 75G tank = 15 inch of fish.

TylerHaworth

Interesting, with that figure, would someone consider a tang and two clowns to be the maximum stocking level in a tank?

That would actually be overstocked I guess...

A tang, a royal gramma, and a six line would be maxed out...

jgking21

Yep, that is pretty much the worst part about the hobby! My 25 I'm breaking down and moving the corals so that I can use it for like a small eel. Just can't do much for fish in there.