Turbo snails?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hey all, I'm having a bit of trouble with red turf algae in my tank. I've always had a little bit which I could live with, but it's beginning to spread. I purchased 4 turbo snails several months ago, which apparently are zebra turbos. They don't touch the red turf which is why I originally bought them. My question: Is there a difference between zebra turbo snails and Mexican turbo snails. I've read that Mexican turbos love red turf algae, but I don't want to order any if they are what I already have in my tank. If anyone has experience, please share. I am working on my nutrient loads. Actually, red turf is the only nuisance algae I've had trouble with, no gha, no byropsis, no cyano. I've actually bought some dental picks to try and get it away from my zoas which they like to choke off which will be very tedious to say the least. Thanks in advance.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Algae is a direct result of feeding n lighting n phosphates in the water. Emeralds will deal with today but rethinking feeding n using rodi will help. Ur tanks been setup how long?

.........yep. I'm a reefer.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
My lighting is T5HO 2months old, I underfeed if anything and have always used RO/DI water. Tank is almost 9 months old. I've never heard of emeralds eating red turf algae. The original question is about the snails, though.

Rob, were yours zebra turbos?

engineer goby

No they were Mexican turbo. I've tried them on several occasions the biggest problem is they flip over and can't right themselves. Mine never really touched red algae they did eat some hair algae though. I beat my hair algae outbreak by running GFO, have you tried it? If not it was a life saver for me. Good luck

philshel

I've been dealing with the same issue and yes the turbos will do a good job for you but they do need to be Mexican turbos. Fortunately here in Calif, that is about all that's available. Plan on replacing them relatively often as they seem to always fall of the rocks and land on their back where they quickly die, usually behind the rocks where you can't see and remove or save them.

steved13

PREMIUM
The Mexican Turbos do a good job for me...nothing but clean rock in their wake. I have some red turf algae, along with just about every other kind.

tnwillia

Hey John, +1^, I used the Mexican Turbos as well. You just have to understand they are bulldozers and get big (Golfball size), but mine ate everything in their path! Good luck!

ReefApprentice

Charter trips with my parets.the funny part is that the turbos were at the shore on the rocks where we entered the water.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Well, I ordered some Mexican turbos from a sponsor on this site early this week, received my order today. They were nice enough to send more than I ordered but my Mexican turbos look identical to my astrea snails that I already have in my tank. Do they look that similar or was I sent the wrong snail. When I search for Mexican turbos, I see a variety of photos. Before I complain, I just wanted some confirmation. Here's a photo:
e8511861.jpg

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
That's what I thought, dangit! The price of the snails is not a big deal, but the shipping and having to be home for them to be delivered is a hassle when you end up getting the wrong thing.

sk8rdn

I prefer these anyway... Smaller and can get into smaller spaces... Plus turbos roller over and die... Lol.

...."Fish" Happens!....