Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off

reefle

I bought one from them during black friday and I love it. Very safe and reliable. Super easy install as well (the manual is enough) Definitely a good investment!

DaveK

My thoughts on Tunze products are that they are excellent products, but expensive.

As for it being the "best option", it depends. You will get quality, and they usually do have repair parts, but you may be able to get a float switch assembly and pump and build a DIY project for a lot less money.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've had several different ATO setups. I've bought kits (some assembly required), done it from internet plans (all DIY), and also bought other brands of ATO and I can tell you that NONE of them came close to the Tunze 3155. It may be a tad more expensive but it's rock solid and when you're relying on it for something as critical as ATO (for instance when you're out of town) you don't want to cut any corners.

I've been running my Tunze 3155 for around 3 years now and still running the same pump as day one. I do give it a good vinegar bath 1x - 2x a year and clean the hose out with vinegar at the same time. Also I dose KALK through my Tunze 3155.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I got one for Xmas and have been waiting for my 5 gallon storage container to arrive. It came in yesterday, so I'll finally be able to set this thing up!

lferrero

Hello reefers,

Yesterday i installed a Tunze Osmolator 3155 on the rear tank of a Red Sea Max C250. Water level was perfect, but then, at 4 am, the alarm went off. I went to check the controller and there was three red lights on. The water was too high so the overflow sensor start the alarm (at least that's my understanding of the event). Any suggestions why this happened?

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If the flow going from the DT to the rear chambers is slowed down any at all (clogged filter media, snails covering grate etc) it will cause the level in the rear chamber to drop and trigger the ATO to add more water. Even though the display tank is getting more and more full the rear chamber will stay in a "low level" state until the problem is resolved.

That's only a guess as I don't have a 250 but that has been the case with my 130D several times.

waucedah_joe

The ozmolator is probably the single best reef tank investment I've made. I've had mine for 7 years and bought it used. It is utterly rock solid, triple protection (Primary optical, high level float switch and addition timeout.) I'll open up here a bit and confess that I've been running it for 5 years without the pump at all. I've got it connected directly to my RO/DI using a 12vdc/110vac relay and a solenoid valve.

sirrealism

When you looked in the tank was it really high or just a little. I found that I have the hose coming from my ATO pump in a far section of my sump away from my sensor and that when the unit turned off the water still rose a little which was enough to make the red light come on and the alarm to go off. Solution for me was to turn the sensor so the float was not facing straight up but at an angle towards the other sensor so the float sensor sits higher then the others. The float sensor is what sends the alarm and by turning it a bit this gave the water lever another 1/2" before it would trip. After doing this I have never had another issue and thats been 4 years. Unlike others I have never cleaned my pump and it still works perfect.

lferrero

It was like one inch over the point of the optical sensor. Q: Once the sensor turns on the pump, How does the system turns off the pump? Is it the optical sensor or just a timer? (now if the overflow sensor will stop the pump in case water gets too high, but let's suppose that the pump stops before reaching the overflow)

Thank all fellow reefers for the valuable answers and advice!

sirrealism

Yes its the optic sensor that turns it on and off. The float sensor is the back up. Like I said turn the whole thing so that the float is very close to the top but still on an angle so it can move up and down. I believe it will fix your problem

zigman

Any suggestions where to get 5gallon clear reservoir with wide hole on top to fit pump? Looked on amazon but no luck. Would like it clear so I can easily see when to refill.....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I utilized a clear "Office File Storage" bin for ATO reservoir. I cut a hole in one corner of the lid just big enough for the wires to pass through. I marked on the side of it each level for gallons (1g, 2g, 3g, 4g, 5g). I also installed a roller shelf so that it slides out for ease of access. Worked like this perfectly for 3+ years.

zigman

Thanks! Actually my wife came thru for me and suggested I go to a local restaurant supply store. They had white translucent 5g bucket marked with volume levels on the side, and I drilled two holes in the lid for wires. Cost bout $20 and seems to fit the bill.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I utilized a clear "Office File Storage" bin for ATO reservoir. I cut a hole in one corner of the lid just big enough for the wires to pass through. I marked on the side of it each level for gallons (1g, 2g, 3g, 4g, 5g). I also installed a roller shelf so that it slides out for ease of access. Worked like this perfectly for 3+ years.

Minus the rollers, I used the same type container.
I am looking at getting an ATO. I have used my JBJ for years with no problems, but one of the float switches has gone bad. Looks like the wiring may be breaking loose from the top of the float itself. I may have damaged it when I cleaned it Sunday. Right now I switched it with the one that I had in with the one that I had with the pump. I had this ATO when I had my 100 gallon and moved it to this tank. It has been running for at least 6 years now.

FLReefers

Hey All, Quick question…I have the Tunze 3155 and continue to get a blinking red "Too Low" light after the initial self test. I have run the self test with optical eye in and out of water to no avail. I was wondering if anyone might have experience with this issue? Thanks in advance!

Jake

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Does the 3155 need light to work? Also, I have none a couple of people that have had the 3155 fail because of electrical interference. Tunze had no recommendation on how to prevent it.

FLReefers

I have only had the unit for 4 months, I'm hoping there may be a rep to shed some light on this? Blackbeltmom, mine was working during the night, i don't believe it needs light to work normally.