troubleshooting probs with a sedra needle wheel

cracker

I have a bad feeling the sedra 9000 on my ASM G4X skimmer has taken a turn for the worse. This evening I noticed it wasn't working. I took it apart & found mulm buildup( nohard aalcium. or any damage to the impeller assembly or shaft .Just won't spin. I cleaned it all up. It will spin without the coverplate will not with it installed. The rubber end pieces are intact no wear in the housing or magnet.
Any insight? Thanks.

JWarren

Well, I had the same problem with a new CL 65. Since I am a diver I always have some pure silicon grease on hand. A little here and a little there and good to go. Divers use it on the O-rings that seal the regulater fittings and works well in salt water. Any dive shop should have it.

JWarren

Oh! Another thing to check, Make sure the impeller isn't hitting the front housing. A plastic washer will help keep it back or use an xacto to trim what is hitting.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
does it spin freely on the shaft? are the rubber boots over a nylon cap? make sure they are all the way on

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Ive noticed with ceramic shafts they get a build up of calcium on them, I clean mine with clr (not that I condone this practice lol) and obviously the motor windings could be going

cracker

Ok the shaft spins freely, the end caps fit snug & not split or worn the nylon insert is not split & the needle wheel itself is intact & not warped. However! I found a split in the very end of the cover plate.
HPIM0793.jpg

It doesn't appear to go any further
HPIM0795.jpg

I suppose that split "could" enough to throw it out of alignment. I can't see any problems in the supports that hold the end cap. Thanks.:dunno:

JWarren

I don't see any were on the face plate (second photo) where the impeller is hitting it, unless it is hitting that injection point where the plastic was run into the mold when it was made. How old is the pump?

cracker

With the cover plate off it needs a kick start to start spinning. Doesn't sound very good to me.

cracker

A little over 3 years maybe?
I'm not sure what COG means . !t "catches" twice in one revolution if that helps.

JWarren

Catches = cogs.

Three years, is a good run for a pump.

A cog is when the magnetic pole of the magnet goes past a magnet pole of the coil within the housing. You have a 2 pole motor. I would check that with the manufacturer. If it is supposed to be a three pole motor then one of the windings has burnt out.

If it is supposed to be a 2 pole, then you might want to try a new magnet/ impeller and maybe a shaft.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sounds odd to me. I have had pumps last way over 10 years. I still have some of the ones i used on the freshy tanks. I think John is right and the motor has spent. This is not a good out look for the Sedra, being that it is a new pump i am trying out on my skimmer. I would call the company and see what there customer service has to say about it

cracker

I'm afraid I must agree the motor is shot. I can't comment on whether the Sedra's are good or bad. I can say it was maintained well. It never ran dry or had any hard buildup in it. Sure there is some wear but no more then expected considering not stop use for a couple years. Regardless I need to get the skimmer up asap.

JWarren

Wow! 10 years!

I must be buying crappy pumps! The most I think I have gotton out of one was almost 6.

What kind of pumps you using Frankie?

cracker

I have a mag 5 that's been around for quite a while. So I need to replace this Sedra 9000 for my ASM G4X skimmer. Would a larger Sedra improve the performance of this skimmer? If so ,how much bigger? Just consider a larger pump no recirculating mods at this time.

JWarren

Well, thats good. The last pump I put in was a mag 7. Hopefully it will hold up for a while.

My experience with changing pumps on a skimmer with a higher output pump causes problems, unless you have great latitude in adjusting it's water level. Not really familiar with that particular skimmer so I couldnt say yes or no.

prow

Ive noticed with ceramic shafts they get a build up of calcium on them, I clean mine with clr (not that I condone this practice lol) and obviously the motor windings could be going
yup i agree.

try soaking it in pure vinegar and move the impeller up and down on the shaft. i use a sedra for my return pump. i have had it for about 15 years now and its still as strong and as quit as the day i bought it. have another for my chiller going on 3 years now and my ASM skimmer for about 5years. if it is the pump i would not hesitate to replace it with another sedra, JMO.

if you have the G4xx, i think the G4x is the same. might want to up grade the pump to a sedra 15000. you can get it with the needle wheel. is this the same skimmer? http://www.reefgeek.com/filtration/...XX_Protein_Skimmer_w!_Sedra_15000_Pump_by_ASM

cracker

Prow ,that G4xx appears to to have the same body diameter & height as my G4X. Thats interesting! Thanks for the tip!