troubleshooting probs with a sedra needle wheel

cracker

Prow, Glad I reread my own thread! So the hole in 10" where as mine is 7"!
Hope Ya don't mind a few questions.
What's the recomended water depth?
What's the height of the base? Mine is 2 " at the body & 1 3/8" at the stand pipe. I wonder if the outlet channel is bigger.
Does the venturi fitting look bigger than your 1200?
Thanks.

prow

Prow, Glad I reread my own thread! So the hole in 10" where as mine is 7"!
yeah i post a pic with the tape on it in a sec.
Hope Ya don't mind a few questions.
not at all

What's the recomended water depth?
in the sump where the skimmer will be. its said to be at 8-10" but i have been hearing with the G4x/G4xx 13" seem to be working out the best. based on my G3 exp i would think there is a lot of play. my G3 is in a sump with a water level of 14" it been performing great at that level the past couple years. but i do plan on putting my G4xx in 13" deep sump water level.
What's the height of the base? Mine is 2 " at the body & 1 3/8" at the stand pipe. I wonder if the outlet channel is bigger.
i will put a tape on it and post.
Does the venturi fitting look bigger than your 1200?
Thanks.
my 1200 is just a pump. not the needle wheel. i use it for my return pump. i only have the 1500 and a 500 that is a needle wheel. the 500 is on my G3 and the venturi/airline is bigger on the 1500 for the G4xx.

ok pic time BRB.

prow

ok here you go
Picture_007.jpg
Picture_001.jpg

Picture_011.jpg

cracker

Prow, Sorry for the late post, Such is life!
Ok Greg can get the 15000nw. He is not positive but thinks the pump comes with the elbow & venturi fitting. The measurements were very helpful indeed! The hole size, 1 3/4" is the same . It is also aligned the same. The bottom plate is the same height at both the body & the channel .There are two differences. The bottom of the hole on your skimmer is 9 1/2 inches from the bottom where mine is 7 inches from the bottom. Also the surpport bracket on your skimmer is 9 inches high where mine is 11 inches. This difference is surely only to make room for the hole.

cracker

Any reason why I can't position the hole in the skimmer body anywhere I choose? I may be over thinking this. Is the present position critical in relation with the drain channel or placed just to reduce the foot print?

prow

i got the skimmer and the pump at the same time, but the pump box did have the venturi and the elbow in it.

yeah i agree the support bracket difference is for the hole position. one thing you can do is raise the skimmer body up so the pump fits. the only worry here is maybe the added hole hieght with the bigger pump will effect the performance. my worry would be the stronger pump used on the lower hole would push "bubbles" out the riser/drain-but with the gate valve mod this might not be a issue.

if it were me i think i would just replace the original pump and do the recir mod on it. i wonder if the G4 and G4+ have the same difference on hole hieght.

prow

Any reason why I can't position the hole in the skimmer body anywhere I choose? I may be over thinking this. Is the present position critical in relation with the drain channel or placed just to reduce the foot print?
huh??? ok you lost me here, lol. can you run that by me again??

cracker

I can complicate the most simple terms! I would have to drill another hole higher in the skimmer body My query was if I could position this new hole anywhere in the skimmer body at the 9 1/2 height needed to fit the new pump & elbow. I hope that makes sense At this point I see it's best to stick with the original pump. Too many factors involved to change it.

prow

ic, i think you could drill it anywhere but it would have some effect on the outlet. i agree to many factors involved in messing with an already great skimmer.

cracker

Well I thank Everyone for the insight while I went thru my options.
Prow I owe You a cold beverage of your choice for the measurements!

cracker

An update FWIW. I learned that Sedra replacement pumps come with the needle wheel impellers only. They do not come with the elbow or venturi fittings.

cracker

An update FWIW. I learned that Sedra replacement pumps come with the needle wheel impellers only. They do not come with the elbow or venturi fittings.

The above statement is incorrect! The Sedra 9000 needlewheel pump I got today did "include " the elbow & venturi fitting. No airline or grommet for the skimmer.

prow

good news, thanks for the info. is the new pump working out? quiet and all that?

cracker

Prow, Sorry for the late reply. The new Sedra is working great. I'm still working on the fine tune. Both the new pump & the fact that I actually did a "Thorough" cleanup on the skimmer changed things. Thanks again for the previous insight!