"Tom's RSM 250"

tnwillia

Re: RSM 250 1 month into cycle

Thanks all for the kind comments!

nz1989reefer.... While I do have rocks on the back walls, it's really only in spots. With few exceptions I do have good clearance and flow from end to end and throughout my rocks. Also what ever clearance I didn't have my Pistol shrimp made a series of caves & tunnels throughout the tank. I have a right pump Loc-line directing down into the back for additional flow. Once I get my MP-40 I'll do the same thing with Loc-line off my left pump as well.

My levels stay perfect and I blow off my rocks at least once a week. I've got a super CUC that not much gets by them. I do not clean my back wall at all other than the area my clowns are in. As time has gone by I find myself taking rock out and opening up bottom sand area and more mid level space for corals. Build what you want to start and as it grows thru the frist few months you've got time to change it without worrying about mounted corals.

Have fun with your tank & Good luck!

tnwillia

Here are a few new pictures of the same old tank. These are the last before I make the changes adding my MP-40 & new lights going open top. Also, going to replumb both chiller & Fuge to use the added open top area. Building the clear mesh screen cover DIY for my jumpers located in Equipment DIY..... Enjoy!

One of my Ermalds cleaning the Coco's tube...
DSC01113.jpg

DSC01114.jpg

DSC01115.jpg

New Torch found last weekend...
DSC01132.jpg

Growth on my old "baby" torch
DSC01133.jpg

Growth on my Candy Cane.. Started with 1 head now at 12 with 2 more getting ready to devide.
DSC01135.jpg

Red Scooter is a happy camper!
DSC01143.jpg

Ric Growth
DSC01144.jpg

FTS Today
DSC01154.jpg

Picture scan across the front.
DSC01157.jpg

DSC01158.jpg

DSC01159.jpg

Nowellsy SNR

Stunning pics mate tanks looking awsome got some serious Caroline growth on the front off the galss

Dweezil

You do have an amazing looking tank Tom. Something to be proud of for sure.

tnwillia

Anthony... While I've got tank down for lights I'm doing major cleaning front and back. The coralline is coming off the 3 sides but it'll be back started back in less than a week. I have a hard time in the corners because of my rock placement.

Tammy, I'm still learning and I mess up all the time, but try to learn from it. Most of my tank credit goes to what I've read & learned from Terry & Glenn. Thank you!

tnwillia

Yes Anthony. I've got enough room to get a magfloat around the corners but not my hand and the scraper. Terry told me of a couple different ways to scrape and I'm going there next. Don't want to move my rock so I'll find another way. Your open aquascape will not have this problem. Have fun!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Fantastic Stunning Pics Tom & Beautiful tank, coral & fish !!!
745.gif

Shows what can be accomplished with the RSM 250 T5 lights

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick

Fantastic pictures Tom. One of the best rsm's that I have seen.

Please forgive the noob question - What's with the coco's tube. I've never seen anything like it. Also keep us up to date with your Vortech addition. Interested to see how it performs.

tnwillia

Thanks Glenn... your right, nothing wrong with the 250 lights. My LFS guy told me this weekend I was a fool for going to MH/T5 (I'm still going to do it anyway). He upgraded his 250 hood by changing the bulbs, taking the RSM ballast out and going external Ice-cap to push/overdrive the T5 lights to 85W. He got most of the heat generated in the hood outside the tank and his tank is beautiful. I'm keeping this in the back of my mind as I can always go back to the hood (this way) if I'm not happy with the open top.

tnwillia

Thanks Leigh... Coco Worm has a hard tube unlike the featherdusters. Looking at the Coco tube, the dark purple below the crab was where it was when I got it. Everything else is new growth. Both my emeralds and Mithrax crabs climb it and clean as they go. Someone had a picture a few months ago of what the actual coco worm looked like, I've never seen him come out of the tube.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

I agree - stunning pictures and tank Tom! I was glad to hear that the emeralds only clean the coco worm's tube and that it wasn't considered as a possible dinner. I think I saw that picture of the worm out of the tube - pretty ugly and grotesque I thought! :)

tnwillia

That was the one. I'll have to go looking for it again. Thanks Terry!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Yep - that was the thread and pictures. Maybe weird looking is better than ugly.

Nowellsy SNR

Yes Anthony. I've got enough room to get a magfloat around the corners but not my hand and the scraper. Terry told me of a couple different ways to scrape and I'm going there next. Don't want to move my rock so I'll find another way. Your open aquascape will not have this problem. Have fun!
Ah cool cheers Tom