"Tom's RSM 250"

tnwillia

Hey Terry, Thanks for the link! I,ve decided on the BC-29 with StevieTs Media Basket and a Tunze 9002 in chamber #2. All the reading I've done takes me to this being the better tank for what I want to do. Getting it started later this week. Lots to order yet. Thanks!

Hey Juan, A Peacock is going to be one happy camper in your Fuge with lots of room to run around. They are simple to keep happy. I've not found anything positive about keeping more than one in a tank. I feed mine about once a week. Add a few hermits once every couple of months. He comes running when ever I open the cabinet door. They need a sand bed and at least 1 cave and rock rubble to further build as they wish. I'm going to put egg crate in the base of my BC-29 so he can't get down to "thump" on the glass although most I read says it's very unlikly they will break glass. Also, they want lower light, this makes you think about what you'll do for Macro Algea in your fuge as some want higher light than I give them.

Hey Steve, I'll be moving several things into my controller , mainly pumps, over the holidays. I only need a heater a few months a year and just put it in this month and added it to my signature generator. There will be a big difference between what my Signature generator shows and what is actually in my controller by the first of the year because I only have 5 lines to work with on the sig gen. Chiller will be added on a new PC1 I've not gotten yet. I've just started the process for the up coming changes. Also, my MP-40s will just be on/off, DA has no designed control function and says they are not going to. I think I read Apex was designing a control for the Vortech though, Juan will know more about that. Have fun!

jpsika08

Tom, thank you very much for that info, my only concern as you mentioned is the amount of light, I was thinking of lowering or even removing the light above the "cave", still, will wait until the tank is established, I have lots of time for doing lots of reading. :)

Regarding Apex / Vortech, Neptune systems is just releasing a Variable Speed Module just to controll Vortech pumps, here is a quick link to Reef Builders detailing everything:

Apex WXM: the Wireless Expansion Module for Vortech-Apex connectivity is now available for pre-order

tnwillia

As big as your sump/fuge will be you have room to get creative with your lighting for it. Thanks for the Apex info!

jpsika08

Tom, just saw a Mantis thread at other forum and this guy installed a diffuser on the bottom for the Peacock, you're going to do that right?, I wished I knew about this before pouring the sand in :(

tnwillia

Hey Juan, if your talking about the plastic Egg Crate (light diffusers) yes I am. If all you have in there now is sand you can still do it, it will cloud everything up but nows the time. If you have an acrylic sump/fuge which I don't think you do then you don't need it.

What you could do is work all the sand to one side. Cut your Diffuser to size then cut in half. Do on side, move the sand and do the other side then level it all out again. Maybe also take the fuge water level down by a 1/4th to keep all the sand storm in the fuge till it settles down again. Have fun!

tnwillia

Ahhh.... dry sand that will be easier. I'd move it to the back and work from there so as not to scratch the front glass at all as you do it. Fun Fun Fun!

shark32

Hi Tom,
I just came across your thread while searching scooter blennies(dragonet). Your tank is absolutely gorgeous!! Do you still have your scooter or those pod houses anymore? I am going to contact BigJay and see if he still makes them. They look like a great idea. Thanks and happy reefing!

tnwillia

Hey Shark32 thanks for the kind comments, I lost my Scooter last year, there are a couple of pictures in here somewhere of my Dendro eating him. I have a good size male Mandrain now. I do still have the pod houses but have taken them out. They work great I just had to dedicate space for them I wanted for something else. My Pod population is fine without them and I add more pods every 3 or 4 months anyway.

Good luck with the Pod houses and look at his feeding tubes if you have'nt yet, nothing better for target feeding. Have fun!

clka

Tom, did the Dendro catch the fish and eat it? I'm already freaked about coral safety after my assessor being eaten by the mushroom, do I have to worry about this new branching Dendro we have now?

Thanks,
Cheryl

tnwillia

Hey Cheryl, I don't think so. I think the scooter died first and drifted into tenticle range of the Dendro. I don't think they will hunt a live meal. My solution is just to keep them fat and happy at my pace so they don't look elsewhere, worked so far.

What did you order from Vivid that got you the branching Dendro? I couldn't find it anywhere on the site. Thanks & have fun!

clka

Thanks Tom, that is reassuring...my plan is to keep everyone well fed! I got the branching dendro off the WYSIWYG section, this "sold" one is under the colonies section of WYSIWYG, mine was under LPS and Mushroom frags:

Buy Branching Dendrophyllia Online | Vivid Aquariums

They are getting closer to opening, just took this pic:
P105

Cheryl