Toms 75 - And So It Begins

tommyboynj

So,

After several months of planning, asking questions on forums, reading and visiting the LFS multiple times I finally took the plunge and ordered most of my stuff online. Ill be taking a trip the LFS to pick up the tank and other sundries this weekend. A trip to Lowes will be in order to obtain materials for the stand (I'm s DIY junkie). So, stay tuned as my adventure into this hobby begins.

tommyboynj

So the stuff is on the way via 3 large UPS packages. Im going to be running the following equipment on my 75 pre-drilled perfecto tank.

48" 6x54 Current USA Nova Extreme Pro
Truelumen Luner moonlights
Precision Marine 175 skimmer
Trigger systems sump with Mag 9 return
2 Koralina 3s
Reefkeeper Lite

I plan on using dry rock from BRS and am currently leaning toward cycling with Dr Tims as I have read some great stuff about this method on this and other forums.

tommyboynj

Made a start on the stand this afternoon. Top and bottom frames made 2x4 & 2x6. Going to knock the rest of this out tomorrow hopefully.

2011-04-30_17-52-52_861.jpg

tommyboynj

Made some good headway today. Here's a pic of the finished framework with the sump. After this I did manage to get the sheathing on. I will be trimming it out over the next week and working on the front and side access doors. Next time I post it will be ready for finish. ITs amazing what you can do with a bunch of 2x4, 2x6 and one large sheet of ply.

2011-05-01_16-12-31_621.jpg

tommyboynj

Stand is done. Just need to cut out a hole on top for the overflow and return. Really happy with how it turned out. Gonna get it in the houses and get the tank on it later today. Then onwith plumbing and wiring. Hope to do a wet test this time next week.

2011-05-08_13-31-29_835.jpg

tommyboynj

Got it in the house ans all the electric set up. GFI outlet in the wall. Reefkeeper lite all set up etc. Here is it was the full set of light on:

2011-05-12_19-48-23_638.jpg

And here it is with just the lunars on:

2011-05-12_19-49-31_128.jpg

tommyboynj

Plumbing is done. 75lbs of BRS Dry rock is on the way. Gonna wet test everything mid week so we can start the cycle next weekend.

2011-05-15_17-06-05_457.jpg

2011-05-15_17-06-14_527.jpg

tommyboynj

OK so she has been running for about 48 hours with water in for the wet test. One minor issue with some plumbing. Fortunatly I had listened to the advice on this site and over built the plumbing so the leaking valve was easily remove and replaced with minimal problem (love unions).. 75lbs of BRS Dry rock was on the door when i got home today. I picked up substrate and salt yesterday. So, fingers crossed I will get the salt added tomorrow and let that run in for a while and then start adding rock ect this week end. I cant stop staring at the tank and there are not even fish in it yet ;-)