Tomini Tang nipping at corals??

rebekwl

We brought home a gorgeous Tomini Tang on Sunday. He's finally getting comfy, but has been caught nipping at our Green Bubble coral and our Candy Cane. I've never heard of a coral eating Tang before, and of course everything I look up says he's reef safe. Is he just picking stuff off of them, or is it possible that he could actually be trying to eat them?

dobejazz

I've never noticed mine eating corals - but he is mean as snot he harassed a few fish to death on me :(

rebekwl

Aw :( I hope mine doesn't get to that point. He's still pretty skiddish and I can't even get a good look at him because he hide everytime he feels us walking towards the tank. Have you ever heard of any type of Tang harrassing corals? I've always thought they were ideal for reef tanks.

dobejazz

Aw :( I hope mine doesn't get to that point. He's still pretty skiddish and I can't even get a good look at him because he hide everytime he feels us walking towards the tank. Have you ever heard of any type of Tang harrassing corals? I've always thought they were ideal for reef tanks.

I think it's possible for any fish to "go bad" I had a One Spot Fox face that ate all my Zoas and Xenia then started on my devils hand leather :(

I think Whiskey had a clam nipping yellow tang and a mimic tang maybe that went after corals

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yeah, all fish are questionable. It's not in the norm for a tang to pick on corals but it happens. the Flame Fin Tomini is a serious algae eater. It could be eating little stray algae that you don't even see around that coral or on it. Try keeping a Nori clip in the tank every day. Feeding tangs is a lot of work. Your guy could just be hungry!

aquaticimports

Has been struck by the ban stick
I agree with frankie...He could just be hungry . You could keep a lion in your back yard if you kept him feed enough. Bad example but you get the point.

rebekwl

Thanks everyone! Looks like it's hit or miss with this one. I'll have to keep pleanty of nori for him to munch on, and make sure to keep an eye on him. Unfortunately for him, he's the new addition and the corals have been there longer, so he'll be the one to get the boot if I notice he's taking chunks out of my LPS. Hopefully he's just eating tiny pieces of algae. Thanks guys and gals!!