Toadstool Question

fellers

I have a toadstool in my tank that has been in there for around 11 months. It grew from 4 to 8 inches when fully opened and always looked extremely healthy.
It pouted here and there. But it has been potting most of 3 days now and I am noticing some decaying or rot in a couple spots on the outer edges.
Anyone know what would cause this?
Tank has been up a little over 2 years and everything else in the tank is thriving; corals, fish,sponge, etc.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 15 doing water change today
Calcium 430
SG: 1.025
Temp 76 to 79 degrees

JulesVane

Here's my short Toadstool story...It was doing fine, then, I noticed a tear in the stool part that slowley expanded. A few days later, the whole stool part detached from the stem part. Well, keepin this short, the stem grew another head (polyps and all), and the stool fell to another rock and attached and began growing. One tough critter!

BigJay

a picture would surely help. without it's just a guess. Its either sloughing off tissue like all softies do or its dropping babies. Again thats a total guess without pics.

fellers

a picture would surely help. without it's just a guess. Its either sloughing off tissue like all softies do or its dropping babies. Again thats a total guess without pics.

I am trying to do that right now. But my 4 yr old son decided to plug in the charger to the camera when it did not have rechargeable batteries. I don't think it liked the battery acid that leadked all over in it.lol, kids

fellers

I am trying to do that right now. But my 4 yr old son decided to plug in the charger to the camera when it did not have rechargeable batteries. I don't think it liked the battery acid that leadked all over in it.lol, kids
Before: around 3 weeks ago
SWJuly262010002.jpg
[/IMG]

AFTER: Cell phone will have to do for now. You can see the decay on the top of the pic. It ia also starting on the left side???
GetAttachmentaspx.jpg
[/IMG]

JulesVane

That Galaxia Coral just to the left of your Toadstool...How long has it been there? Did your Toadstool start showing bad signs since you placed the Galaxia near it? Galaxias are notorious for sending out stinging sweeper tentacles with a potent sting.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've seen this happen before and the Toadie seems to recover. Almost like "Growing Pains". I've never seen one completely expire from it but I've seen some beautiful ones get ragged looking and then just bounce back.

fellers

The galaxia was closer and its stingers did stick to the toadstool once or twice.
I have since moved the galaxia and sweeper tentacles blow harmlessly now off the rock it is on away from the stool. It does not come in contact with anything now.
This morning right now with the lights out the stool is opened in all it's glory!
It most likely was the galaxia ha? There are little spots where the galaxia sweepers touched it.
I knew about that to but I never seen them reach that far till one day it was sticking to the stool. So, moved and good to go for galaxia now. I just hope toady recovers. That thing was one gorgeous toadstool.

BigJay

I knew about that to but I never seen them reach that far till one day it was sticking to the stool. So, moved and good to go for galaxia now. I just hope toady recovers. That thing was one gorgeous toadstool.

Usually happens at night. And their reach is almost unbelievable. Toadstools are very resilient. I'm sure it'll be fine.

BigJay

that isn't abnormal. If it stayed closed for days on end I'd be somewhat concerned but not horribly. If it started melting thats another story.

JeF4y

Not much to add other than that the Toadstool is the most tempermental coral I have in my tank. If literally ANYTHING changes it closes up or shrivels for anywhere from 2-5 days.

fellers

Not much to add other than that the Toadstool is the most tempermental coral I have in my tank. If literally ANYTHING changes it closes up or shrivels for anywhere from 2-5 days.

Roger That. Mine is the same way pretty much. What did disturb me most is the missing piece of flesh in the picture, and how it became that way?