"To skim or not to skim that is the question"

To Skim Or Not To Skim That Is The Question!

• Skimmer

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • No Skimmer

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Turf algae

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Very few :D

I skimmer imo is an invaluable piece of equipment that has no substitute.

ArtemisGoldfish

Skimming is important for removing various organic compounds that other mechanical forms can't or do less efficiently.

The only other form would be very large water changes on a daily basis.

Turf Scrubbers work well for removing some of these organic compounds along with some other inorganics, but not as much as the hype suggests.

DaveK

More to the point.

Why do you want to run a 50 gal plus tank without a skimmer?

There may be valid reasons for doing so, depending upon what species you want to keep in the tank, the bioload in the tank, and other factors. However, most people are much better off using a skimmer.

A final note. If your considering not using a skimmer to "save money", seriously consider that you are in the wrong hobby.

Frankie

RS STAFF
What if you have no... or very few fish in a rather large tank?
Good question :thumbup:
I am assuming there are going to be corals and inverts though in this tank right PIMPALA?
Nutrient export is the key to success with coral keeping. If your keeping corals, then your feeding them and your going to need to export. A skimmer is key to doing this.
I must admit, after all we have learned over the past 10 years it surprises me that people still want to skip this very important piece of equipment. :ponder2:

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
What if you have no... or very few fish in a rather large tank?

There are circumstances where you would be ok not running a skimmer if you have a light bio load and a large volume of water the waste would be diluted so WC would be sufficient but I rarely see anyone under-stock a tank.

If you have messy fish/eaters like eels, tangs, and loin fish that produce alot of waste a skimmer will help with this process and may be necessary to lighten the load on the biological.

Short answer is you don't need a skimmer but I guarantee you will have greater success with one, everyone seems to ask do I need a skimmer the better question would be why do you think you don't need one?

I have to agree with DaveK if money is the concern your in the wrong hobby, shortcuts and cheap equipment will only lead to failure.

Jetbkk

It seems to me that when you see what ends up in the skimmer cup, you probably won't wonder anymore why you need it.

tnwillia

I've gone up to 6 weeks without a skimmer after a breakdown and finding parts. In some ways my tank looked better but I know what that skimmer pulls out of my water on a daily basis. I'd never do without a skimmer. Good luck!

PIMPALA

LOL. Dont worry, im running skimmers on all of mine. Just wanted to throw that out there for the people who may wonder. I understood it as a very simple, and inexpensive piece of equipment for what all it does.

Although Ive seen plenty of established tanks with light bioload and tons of water run no skimmer. just a sump/fuge, and lots of water movement.

smkndrgn142

55gallon...no skimmer. Keeping LPS and softies for 3+ years...current set up 1 year and 6 months with no problem. Skimmers remove a lot of good things with the bad, if you're keeping up with your water changes and your tank isn't over stocked, there's really no point.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Most of the tanks I see without skimmers look rough, not all but 95% of them anyways, as far as a skimmer pulling out all the good stuff you really have to have a monster to accomplish that and even then it's unlikely.

smkndrgn142

Most of the tanks I see without skimmers look rough, not all but 95% of them anyways,
I could say the same thing about a lot of tanks with skimmers. I have a feeling this has less to do with skimmers and more to do with how lazy the reefer is.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Could be :D

I have run tanks both ways successfully but there is not convincing me a skimmer is not worth it's weight in gold, so well have to agree to disagree.

smkndrgn142

Could be :D

I have run tanks both ways successfully but there is not convincing me a skimmer is not worth it's weight in gold, so well have to agree to disagree.

agreed! You'll never hear me say they aren't useful...just not always necessary. I just have such a small bio load I don't see the point. If the SPS bug really bites, there will be one added to my tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I know someone who has ran one for almost a year without a skimmer. He has a 90g Mixed reef (Softies, LPS, SPS) that's slowly going more SPS. It's got a 29g Sump and 18g Fuge. He does do fairly consistent water changes but his color, growth and over-all tank health seem to be very good without a skimmer.

I'm just saying :)

NEPTUNE

Thank you all for your very articulate and candid answers. My purpose was to have a forum about said subject because I have been running my mixed reef tank without a skimmer for 6 months now. Allthough I am lightly stocked right now I beleive I can run indefinatly without it because of the natural bactteria colonies in my sump,live rocks and sand. Along with the invertibrate clean up crews, highly oxygenated water ,and maybe a bi weekly water change, I think all will be well!:hammerhea Feel free to agree :bluenod: or not:down: but please let me know what you think non the less!:hug1: :hug1:

steved13

PREMIUM
This may be a very ignorant/novice question so forgive me but I'm sure someone here knows.

I thought the foam I see at the edge of the ocean was pretty much the same idea as what the skimmer takes out. Is this true? If this is true, I guess you're removing this material with the added water changes instead of the foam? Somone previuosly said the skimmer takes out good with the bad, so I'm guessing that's the reason for wanting to do without the skimmer? In the long run (although not that long) the skimmer is much less expensive than the additional water changes? What are the "good things" the skimmer removes?

DBrinson

The way I see it, skimmers replicate surf. It's a "natural" mechanism.

I live on Escambia Bay, and when the water quality of the bay drops (for whatever reason) big splotches of dark "foam" wash up onto the shore behind my house. The odor, color, and consistency of the "foam" is identical to the skimmate in my collection cup.

I could test the "skimmate" on my shore against what is in my tank but the result would likely only show the differences in impurities present between my tank and the bay.

Skimmin' Safari :shades:

Edit: you beat me to it Steve, agreed on the foam.

smkndrgn142

In the long run (although not that long) the skimmer is much less expensive than the additional water changes?

doing weekly or bi-weekly water changes isn't an increase in water changes, it's just common sense. As far as the good things...well, really it's all good in the right amounts, but specifically it'll remove medications and nutrients from the water. Even the dissolved organic material it removes can be good for most if not all corals. The thing to remember is you remove these same materials during your weekly or bi-weekly water changes. If you have a lightly stocked tank with a proper CUC and good water movement through your rock, there really is no need for a skimmer.