Tim's (lakelivin) RSM 500 build

Oxylebius

Added the APEX automatic fish feeder and even though it's quite loud when feeding it works great. Programmed it to feed twice a day and I will supplement with frozen food a few times a week.

Now that it has been a couple of months, how's that APEX automatic fish feeder working out for you? Still using it regularly?

LakeLivin

APEX feeder is still working fine. I changed the programming to feed three times a day but other than that no change and it's been working as designed. I have my pumps and skimmer programmed to turn off when the feeder kicks on. I have the pumps setup to turn off for 5 minutes and the skimmer for 15 minutes.

Using the velcro provided I have it sitting on the top back right corner of the tank. As you may know I swapped out the hood and T-5's for Radion LED's so space to sit the feeder is no problem. However, I'm not sure it would have fit where I placed it if I still had the hood on the tank. If you still have the hood on your tank you might want to do some research on where you can mount the feeder with enough clearance for it to operate.

Oxylebius

Thanks for the feedback, I do have the hood on my tank still. Thus, there isn't much room to add anything.

LakeLivin

If you can buy one from your LFS store with the understanding that if you cannot make it fit you can return it that would probably be worth experimenting.

LakeLivin

IMG_0813.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0817.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

LakeLivin

I tried to post a couple pics but ever since the forum changed software I can't seem to get them to work. I'll try again later to figure out what I'm doing wrong. :(

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
where are they being hosted?

right click on them, copy the image url

then click on the little picture frame icon & add it there... it will work

if you get an error... leave it and i will help :nessie:

LakeLivin

I'm using photobucket and have been doing it the same way for years on forums. I'm heading to the airport to pick-up some out of town guests but I will experiment when I get time and see if I can figure out why the links I'm copying from photobucket are not translating properly here anymore.

LakeLivin

Let's try this again. I just posted this pic of my new 2016 650i to the BMW forum I'm a member of and it worked so we will see how it does here.

650iSideView.jpg
[/URL]

LakeLivin

OK, I'm lost... I use a Mac and post my pictures using photobucket. I single click in the img string box and it automatically copies the string. I come here and click on the portrait icon and paste the string just like I do on other forums and it does not work. Any advice?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tim I use a macbook air too

when I go to a pic in your photobucket account and right click on it & select Copy image Url

I get this...

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp306/armyranger10/setup_2.jpg

if I add this syntax around it... [IMZ]http://xxxxxthe url here xxxxxxx[/IMZ]

in the above ^ I had to replace the letter G, with a Z so you could see it.... hope this helps

from your error above... looks like it's adding [U R L ] in front or or in place or [I M G] spaced so you can see ^ it shows up like this

setup_2.jpg

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Thanks Glenn, I'll check out that link. When I click in the URL IMG box on photobucket to copy the image link it automatically "copies" the data with one click. It does not allow me to right click and copy.

I have a few hobbies so I participate in a number of car, boat and other reef forums and have no issues posting pics from photobucket on any of the other forums. It's only since this forum updated their software that I started having problems here. I may try another image hosting site one of these days and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Choff

Nice job on the WC rig! Tank is looking sweet. I'm working to get mine back in show shape.

The 650 is hot too!

LakeLivin

Good to hear from you Mike! My tank is doing great and my only real problem is some of my corals and polyp colonies are getting too big. I'm torn between deciding to just let them go and let the strongest survive or attempting to "trim" some of the bigger stuff. I'll probably opt for the latter option at some point.

I've been lucky and have not had any big algae problems since the first blooms in the first 6 months after the tank was first setup. I was running a couple reactors with GFO and other substrates to reduce the nitrates and phosphates to prevent algae problems. However, since I started the continuous AWC's (4 gallons per day) it has eliminated any need (so far) to run anything but my skimmer.

It's nice to have the tank more on autopilot especially now that summer is here and I'm spending more time on the lake and with my cars. About once a week I have to mix a barrel of salt to keep up with my AWC system but my water station setup makes it pretty easy. I also upgraded my RO/DI to a 175 gallon per day unit so I can make new water very fast.

Good luck with getting your DT back in shape and I look forward to seeing some pictures.

LakeLivin

Hello all, it's been awhile since updating my thread so I thought I would provide an overview of my build and it's progress for those interested. Questions and comments welcomed.

It's been over 5 months now since I started doing automatic continuous water changes (3 gallons per day) and the tank appears to love it. I was planning to do a more traditional manual water change every few months or so along with the daily changes but so far I see no need for it.

Still going hoodless and using Radion Pros with good results. It took a few weeks to find the sweet spot with all of the control you have with the different intensities and color spectrums but I found a pretty good schedule/setup using my APEX to control them and all is going great.

I upgraded my MP40's to the new QD's a while back and they are literally silent and do a good job. As some of you may remember who have followed my progress I stopped using the rear stock pumps a long time ago. They were generating too much heat and flow for my setup. Two MP40's along with the flow from the return works perfectly for me.

Between the LED's and not using the rear pumps my temp stays consistently between 78.9 to 79.1 so I still have not needed to add a chiller to my setup.

My APEX controller continues to work great. There is a bit of a learning curb with APEX in the beginning but there are plenty of resources to get help while you are learning how to use it so I highly recommend it.

As far as stock goes not much has changed. Still have the large sail-fin tang, multi colored angel, pair of orange anthias and a onyx clown. Fairly low fish load for this size tank but they are happy and healthy so I hesitate to add anything new to upset their world. I have a lot of rock in my tank that takes up a fair amount of swimming room for the fish so it's best to limit the number anyway IMO.

The APEX automatic feeder still works perfectly and sits perfectly on the lid in the back right corner of my tank. I programed it to feed twice a day. I was having it feed 3 times a day but decided I was overfeeding so I cut it back to twice a day. It's nice being able to feed the fish on a consistent schedule and not having to worry about missing a feeding with my schedule. I still supplement frozen foods a few times a week but their main diet is a mixture of different dry food I fill my feeder with.

All and all the tank is doing very well and with all the automation I've cut the time it used to take to do maintenance way down. I mostly just have to clean the glass and manage my water station adding salt from time to time and turning valves moving water around.