Tim's (lakelivin) RSM 500 build

Choff

The shimmer effect was a big one for me to get used to. Kessils in particular throw a ton of shimmer and first I didn't like it. I had just the t5s on today while I was acclimating the fish and the tank looked so odd with no shimmer. I love it now.

Ha, yes the heaters coming on was a revelation for me as well.

Joeys Tank

Loving the look! Been running my tank with LEDs for two months now and very happy. I, too, have to do a functional check on my heaters with the winter months coming. :)

LakeLivin

Heaters came on in the tank last night for the first time since I setup the tank and they appear to work :). Day two of the Radions and everything seems to be happy. Of course it's too early to really tell how things will do but at least all the corals are still opening and appear content.

The shimmer and the bare look of the missing hood are beginning to grow on me. One good thing about not having the hood is it is easier and quicker to access the glass with my long handled scrapper and clean it. Really love the moonlight affect at night! It's a great way to view all of the neon colors of the corals.

Wolffman64

Tim, tank looking great! The mounts looks really cool.

LED's make such a big difference in temperature from T5's. You will love the shimmer after a while when you get used to it.

LakeLivin

Just thought I would post a short update about the Radions for anyone considering the mod. It's been just abut 2 weeks and all my corals appear to be adjusting nicely to the new lighting. My biggest concern with the Radions was dumping the hood which drew me to the RS Max tanks to begin with. However, I'm not missing it at all and really like the look of the new mounting brackets.

I've noticed that the water is not evaporating as quickly now that I don't have those hot T-5's. I like having much easier access to the glass for cleaning as well. My average water temps have been 77.09F with a high of 79.1 requiring the heaters to come on now and then.

I'm still running them in acclimation mode at 50% maximum intensity. I can't say enough about how much I like the features of the Radions. Simulating sunrise and sunset and having a couple hours of moonlight every night to enjoy the fluorescent colors of the corals is very nice. Overall, I really have not identified any negatives and I'm very happy I made the decision to go with the Radions.

Choff

It's such a fun upgrade isn't it? The difference from t5 to led for us is monumental. Hopefully the corals respond in kind.

...stupid auto correct

LakeLivin

Yeah, found it at a LFS recently. I really need to get a HD camera so I can take some better quality pictures. My old iPhone just does not do the tank justice. It really looks amazing in person, especially with the new LED's... Everything really pops. The tank will be a year old in December and I'm very satisfied with the progress. I'm done adding anything new at this point. Just going to let things grow and do what they want to do.

LakeLivin

Thinking of going back to filter socks for the sump. Sponge just does not keep the sump as clean as I would like. I used socks for a short time but was not thrilled about having to change them pretty much every other day.

That being said, how is everyone that use socks in a S series tank putting them in? The length and location of the pipes are a PIA. I don't like having to mess with the pipes all the time to get a sock in place. A little concerned that so much pulling and tugging on the pipes that over time it could cause a problem/leak at the top where they connect.

I assume it's not a good idea to modify them but it would be nice if they were shorter and/or were not essentially touching/flush with the back of the sump. I would love to insert an elbow piece and move them out away from the sump glass so I could mount some sort of sock mounting bracket.

Also, for anyone interested I've decided to go forward with the automatic water change system using the new Dosing and Fluid Metering System from Neptune Systems. It will be mounted in my garage next to my water making station with the tubes going up into the attic and down inside the wall exiting/entering behind my tank.

DaddyTLi

Hi Tim, I use 7x16 http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-felt-filter-sock-with-draw-string.html for my s500. Removed the sponges and place the sock inserting both pipes. I move the sock all the way up and then put the small (short) sponge under it to keep the sock up. I rhen place the second sponge back up as well.

I also used the extra thin rubber pad that came with the tank to rest on the edge curved to prevent water to go to the return pump area. as the sock clogs the water exit the sock on the higher point and soon it will be above the glass flowing down to the sump pump area; hence the rubber pad.

With this setup, i change the sock 2 to 3 weeks. Beware that the longer you cange it the dead stuff in the sock turns to nitrate.
Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:

Choff

I used the 4x16 regular ones with the plastic ring. Those fit perfectly over the 2 down tubes and they stay up without any support at all. I highly recommend this approach. It can't get any easier.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-f...-ring-1-e0f66d3186154abe76960f9e394c4621.html

I bought 5 so I could clean them monthly. I just toss them in the washing machine with a bit of bleach and then run them a 2nd time to ensure they are rinsed well.

I found it better to change it out weekly along with my water change. When they start to clog it also means you need to start playing with flow restrictor dial in the back to prevent gurgling. That was usually my telltale sign that it needed changing. I hate messing with that dial.

...stupid auto correct

LakeLivin

Thanks for the replies guys... I used the same socks as you do Mike and found they stayed pretty much where you put them as well. I may be a little paranoid but I'm just not thrilled with having to tug and pull on the pipes every other day to change the socks. Was just wondering if anyone had come up with a better idea. I'm doing a tear down of my sump to give it a good cleaning and will start the sock routine again and just deal with it I guess.

I'm also preparing to run the PVC conduit from my garage up into my attic and down inside the wall behind my tank. Along with the aquabus cable for the DOS and the 2 tubes needed for my daily/automatic water changes I'm going to run a tube that I'll use to top off my ATO reservoir. Along with no more manual water changes I won't be filling and hauling water jugs anymore either.

I'm looking forward to getting on a constant/consistent water change schedule. Once it's all setup my only chore will be to keep a barrel of salt water mixed up. Still have not decided exactly how many gallons I will change per day but the cool thing about the DOS is you can increase/decrease the water changes easily through APEX.

Choff

Funny thing about automatic water changes, it made me lazy on the rest of my maintenance . I was always a stickler about my weekly water changes and missed very few in the 18 months I was doing them and my routine was based around them. Now that I don't do them a lot of those little things I used to do while I was waiting for the tanks to drain and fill don't get done as often. Would I go back? No chance. Lol

LakeLivin

LOL, not going to worry about slacking on other duties when manual water changes or no longer required.

Actually, I'm hoping that daily water changes will help and/or solve most common aquarium problems like high nitrates, phosphates and low essential elements. I'm going to run a little test and stop dosing once I start changing a few gallons a day. Curious to see if "dosing" with a good quality salt mixture everyday will eliminate the need for any further dosing. In theory it should but we will see.

I would like to shelf my other dosing pumps and reactors leaving only my skimmer and heaters to maintain and clean.

Choff

Unlikely you will be able to do away with dosing when your colonies start growing. Heck, in tanks our size the coralline algae alone will suck out 1 or 2 dkh. If you are looking to simplify, look into a calcium reactor. I'm kicking myself for not setting one up sooner.

...stupid auto correct

LakeLivin

I plan to stop dosing for a couple months while I see how the daily water changes affect my levels. If nothing else I will probably need to reprogram my dosing pumps and reduce the amount that I currently dose.

I've been wanting to go with a calcium reactor for a long time but just don't have the space in the sump cabinet. I'll have to do some research and see if it's practical or possible to set one up in my garage now that I'm running a conduit for tubes another tube or two could not hurt. Just not sure if it's possible at that distance.