TheSilverSurfer's RSM 130D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I guess it really depends on your tank and what's in it. I have my left outlet pointing down a bit and towards the center of the front. I have the Hydor Flo on the right outlet, pointing up enough that it ripples the surface as it cycles. But I also have a Vortech that does that too.

redsea reefer

My left outlet is pointed straight and down a little and my right one is pointed up and to the right so the ripples start in the middle of the tank. My koralia 2 is on the right side of the tank in the upper corner pointed up towards the right outlet so they deflect each other and create random flow. As ReefMack said, you have to adjust the flow according to what is in your tank and their flow requirements.

Last edited:

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
I wish there was more flexibility with these pump outlets, even in the 250 we're quite restricted.

Day 19 ...

Well I have decided on postioning the left outlet pointing upwards and right to create the water ripples, the right outlet has the hydor flo attached and I have changed the direction of the Hydor Koralia 2 so as to point toward the right outlet.

Also check out my new corals ... On day 17 I decided on splashing out on three corals frags, (actually I got four as two were attached together). The Xenia Elongate has decided to go walkabout since the two were too close together so it will be interesting to see where it ends up. Otherwise they have all been in there 3 days now and are doing just fine - fully open and owning their spaces ... yaaaaay!!

Here's my additions .... images attached but not the best quality :-((

Trumpet Coral
Leather Toadstool
Red Sea Pulse Coral next to;
Elongate Coral

On another note my Atapsia has now been expelled .... RIP!!! The snails are all doing their jobs nicely and the emerald is just purdy! You can see him/her hiding near the Toadstool :)

Attachments

• trumpet.jpg
    trumpet.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 141
  • toadstool.jpg
    toadstool.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 140
  • xenias.jpg
    xenias.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 140

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Very nice Fraser! I did find the emerald crab, and can see the Xenia on the right "going for a walk" off of the frag plug.

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Nice one fraser. Big claws on that emerald lol.

Do you buy your coral frags online or at the LFS?

Yes I think so too Emma ... the guy I purchased them from, suggested they were good starter corals ... I will be sure to return as he was very helpful. My LFS unfortunately aren't so helpful and it seems they are just trying to sell me anything they can .. when I asked about adding fish, (a dragonet to be precise), they advised it would be good fish to start with!!! Not! Just as well I have been doing my research!! As it happens I found a new fish shop not so far away, that I am visiting this weekend so it will be interesting to see how their customer service compares to my 'local'.

Sapphire

it's good you've found someone who'll give you good advice..... I'd certainly NOT (edited thanks to Silversurfer pointing out my typo below!) take any advice from somebody who advises a dragonet is a good beginnner fish in a new tank!!!!

Last edited:
Ok I have added The Media Rack , the Tunze 9002 and the inTank cup. On the media rack I have placed the sponge on the top shelf and the chemi pure elite bag attached to the second shelf hanging down....

I turned everything on and the tank is now all cloudy :-( I presume that is the chemi pure elite bag settling in. I have also removed the filter media from under the two pumps so now it is the live rock that is acting as the filtration.

Is everything above correct? SHREEEEIIIIIIK!

also... since this is the first time I have used the tunze it is not producing any gunk yet.. is this because it is new?

and... should I leave the blue/white pad on the top shelf continuously.. I have noticed on some forums people dont leave it in there all the time?

redsea reefer

Ok I have added The Media Rack , the Tunze 9002 and the inTank cup. On the media rack I have placed the sponge on the top shelf and the chemi pure elite bag attached to the second shelf hanging down....

I turned everything on and the tank is now all cloudy :-( I presume that is the chemi pure elite bag settling in. I have also removed the filter media from under the two pumps so now it is the live rock that is acting as the filtration.

Is everything above correct? SHREEEEIIIIIIK!

Did you rinse the chemi pure before you put it in the tank.

Its your choice on the filter pad. Some people leave it in and replace it twice a week and some people put it in only when feeding or cleaning the tank.

yes i rinsed it but it seems to be getting clearer now :).. Will see how the pad goes ....

Check out one of the brittles showing off!

Attachments

• brittle.jpg
    brittle.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 118

Sapphire

Nice pic!

Those filter pads do clog up pretty quicklyso it's good to make sure you rinse them relatively frequently if you're going to leave it in there for any length of time. I only put ours in for a few hours at a time if I want to remove any particles.

Ok well it it still a relatively new set up so I will watch it and see how it goes...

... any info on the tunze ... at the moment the air outlet is open full and there is really no gunk coming out yet.. is that because it is new?