The Wages of Sin are..........Birth!

SubRosa

Ok so it's not really a birth yet,strictly speaking but the two Banded Cat Sharks in our display tank are the parents of a cute little egg!The female had laid eggs in the past for her previous owner but since no male was present there were no offspring.Since she went into the tank our male hasn't been more than a foot away from her.I lost the pics of them mating due to a cell phone crash, but we have a store use digital cam now so I'll get some pics of them and the egg before I pull it out for safe incubation.While I'm in there I can even retrieve my wedding ring which came off of my finger on Sunday while I was stirring up the substrate!

John

Gina

RS STAFF
The shark ate my wedding ring....really dear!
Do you know yet if it's fertile?

SubRosa

Won't be able to assess fertility for a couple of days.If it's fertile the yolk will remain intact and blood vessels will start forming.If it's infertile the yolk will turn to scrambled eggs in a few days.Hopefully I can post pics tomorrow, and I'll keep posting as things develop(hopefully that is!).Gina believe it or not my wife was here when I went in and came out of the tank so I dodged that bullet!

John

Gina

RS STAFF
Sounds like when I used to raise cockatiels. I would take a flashlight at about 9 days and shine it up through the egg. If it was fertile, you could see blood vessels otherwise it was just a dark blob inside the egg.

SubRosa

The tank is 12' in diameter and 6' deep,approx. 5000 gal.They share it with two Blacktip Reef Sharks, a Dragon Moray, several large assorted Naso species,and a slowly dwindling population of Vanderbilt's Chromis.

John

Witfull

ive seen Johns display, its awesome...he promised to let me swim in it one day~

John, ill get up there again someday when i can afford thr freakin gas~
(you still have my T-shirt?)

SubRosa

Yeah Dave and your Tub's Blue as well.It's gonna be a colony instead of a frag by the time you get here!

John

SubRosa

Ok here are some pics.Unfortunately the eggs were duds, but I'm hopeful for the future!

Attachments

• 081.1.jpg
    081.1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 72