The search for a High Output, low noise pump continues.....

BLADEYAMAHA

My Gen X pump and the skimmer are the noise makers they are pretty loud. Everything else is quiet, you really only hear the water splash from the overflow into the refugium without the skimmer running.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I'm a fan of submerged Mag Drives, I also place mine on sponges and on my mag 18 I actually hang it so it's not touching any part of the tank. You're going to need to go with multiple pumps to keep it quiet.

so I just pulled out the tape measure... 5 ft of head... exactly.

I have a herbie overflow, with 1" main return line. It creates a full syphon, so it drains a lot of water (not sure exactly how much, but i had the Iwaki MD100RLT hooked up and it was able to handle that amount of water with only slightly throttling it back

What I need
MAG 12 to drive the manifold
25 GPH to refugium
250 gph to Carbon Reactor
150 gph to GFO reactor
500 GPH to chiller(at least, to prevent frozen lines)
Chiller output goes to display tank.

Mag 7 to pump from sump directly to display

I am not even using the chiller currently, But i do have plumbing already set up just incase it needs to be hooked up if the submerged pumps causes excess heat in the water

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sounds like the issue with noise is on the listener side. I can't see a mag being that loud... Mine isn't.

What about sound insulating the stand? Or ear plugs? Maybe just give it a few weeks so you can get used to the new noise level? Hell, try falling to sleep with some music or a movie on. If you're used to dead silence, no pump will ever be quiet enough. Know what I mean?

....Moving On, Moving On....

Sounds like the issue with noise is on the listener side. I can't see a mag being that loud... Mine isn't.

lol, the problem is not on the listener's side. Do you have a mag 24? I set it in the sump and plugged it in. It sounded like it was cavitating or something. I put my hand over the outflow and it quieted down a bit, but it didnt stop cavitating until i completely stopped the water flow. I have a mag 5 which is completely quiet, but the 24 is a whole 'nother monster

does it need to wear in or something? this thing is loud like rattling and stuff

sk8rdn

No, but I do have an 18 with no padding at all on it. Hell, I even have a messed up impeller now (string got jammed inside) and even imperfect its darn quiet. I've been around running 24s and didn't think they were any louder than mine...

interesting.... I wish decible meters were around and abundant so we could compare. I just really feel like it shouldn't be so loud. I have run my 90 gallon tank for a year now with the mag 5, so im used to no noise. I really just need the pump to supple this silly manifold i made with enough flow. I think the manifold was a mistake, considering Im trying to keep things quiet. I hink Ill just return this pump and see if i can use two separate smaller pumps for my needs. If that fails, I'll go with the louder version!

Sk8rdn, what do you have that 18 pushing water to? is it on the 350?

Anybody interested in a Iwaki MD100RLT

sk8rdn

My 50 gallon tank. It's my dedicated return pump.

Funlad3

I run the RIOs. On "my" 125 gallon, I have a RIO 32 HF. It took two or three weeks to quiet down, but now it's silent. :)

PIMPALA

my mag18 on the 120 is decently quiet. some things to answer, and some to think about:

are you just plugging the pump into the wall and dropping it in the water, and going "wow! thats loud!" then unplugging it? or is it actually plumbed in? it will be a LOT more quiet once its plugged in.

lift the pump off of the floor of the sump an inch and see what it sounds like when its not touching anything. more quiet? if so, its a resonance problem, not a noisy pump. I can help with that if its the case.

faulty pump possibly? maybe just exchange it for another one exactly like it to test it. one little grain of sand can make a semi silent pump sounds like a garbage disposal with a fork in it.