The NatuReef® cyclic denitrifing vs. Sulphur based Bio denitrator

foxsavage

I'm considering one of these denitrifing systems and I was wondering if anyone can give me any feedback on either system. I'm leaning more toward the NatuReef® system, the only thing I don't like about it is the size. Does the sulpher leave any residue in the water? If so I wouldn't consider using that system, but if not it seems better because of the smaller footprint.
Poseidon's Realm Denitrators

DaveK

I have not used either of those denitrification systems, but have used several others in the past.

IMO, yes they do work, but they are a real pain to set up and maintain.

Denitrification systems work by using anaerobic bacteria to consume nitrates. This requires a very slow flow through the filter, often measured in drops per minute. The bacteria also need a food source.

The problems arise because you must monitor the output water, and test it. Then you need to adjust the flow and in some cases the food source. Too much flow and you don't get complete nitrate reduction, and your adding nitrate back into your system. Too little flow and you get sulphate reduction. This gives you that rotten egg smell.

I would consider the claim by NatuReef that it can "Eliminate water changes" to be pure bull----, and automatic disqualification from my purchase decision, but that's me. Also note that it's very expansive and requires the use of expensive additives to keep it running.

I recommend you save you money on the denitrator and add a decent size refugium with macro algae or an algae scrubber. They will reduce nitrates and phosphates and don't have the problems of control that a denitrification system has. Also, a refugium can be set up as an adjacent tank, and you get a lot of interesting things to watch in a refugium.

foxsavage

Thanks for the feedback. I've got a sump with some chaeto but it's just not enough, I guess I just need more area. I'm going to give the pellets a try, and see if I can build a larger refugium that will fit on top of the sump. There's a nice ledge on there that almost looks like it was meant for that.

JulesVane

I just hooked up a Midwest Aquatics XL Denitrifer (Sulfur) yesterday (Saturday). I'm anxious to see how well it does.

JulesVane

Here's the Midwest Aquatic XL Denitrifier update after exactly ONE week:

Due to my heavy work schedule of six days and many hrs. per day, I neglected my water changes drastically. I had tested at one point and they were 40ppm. I had no idea how fast it could then grow to OVER 100ppm!

I was lucky enough to find a Midwest Aquatic XL DeNitrifier used at one of my LFS's. Brand new: $450....Used $100. (I had to buy the media for another $50.)

Complicated? Not at all. A syphon is created using airline tubing from my overflow that enters the reactor, and airline tubing exits the reactor with a cheap drip rate controller. An Ehiem 1048 pump comes mounted on the top.

Set the reactor up last Saturday. Waited 'til Wednesday and tested the output from the exit of the reactor. Damn! Still above 100ppm!

Did another Nitrate test on the exit of the reactor yesterday, Saturday (Exactly one week running).

I'm very pleased to say that the output (exit) of the reactor is now a great big ZERO!

Now, that this is the "XL" unit, I'm at 6 drips per second. So, the next question is: "How long will it take to reduce the nitrates from the entire 90 gallon system?"

...So far...So good!

JulesVane

Foxsavage...I was lucky enough to find this unit at one of my LFS's. Just stopped in as I have so often and asked the guy what he thought of them and he said "Hey, this guy traded in ALL his equipment and we just happen to have this one lying around". I had been looking at the prices online and in the catologs and when he said $100...I jumped on it! (LOL). I see the Korallin one through MarineDepot is just about EXACTLY the same thing. Check e-bay, they're there!

McTeague...I do agree that I'm just about as lazy as they come with husbandry in the way of water changes on my one day off. But, this unit is as about un-complicated as they come. Fill the unit, seal the unit, place the unit, air-line in, air-line out, control the drip rate, test the output, adjust the drip rate...good to go!

JulesVane

Foxsavage...I just went on e-bay, typed in Korallin, and they've got the 1502 combo denitrator/calcium reactor with a current bid of $50.

I don't know much about e-bay, but might be worth looking into.