The Intro to a new hobbiest

I am new to this forum. I have not been in the hobby for long only about 9 months, but I am becoming obsessed with it. I started with a 30 gallon bio cube reef tank. I came into the hobby because my wife loved it and had been involved for years before she met me. She kept a 55 gallon for about 2 1/2 years with sucess before we were together. I have been struggling with the 30 gallon. I started with a bi color dotty back, which I loved, but who was too aggressive, though very happy. I had to remove him to add other fish. I then purchased a two spot goby and a purple firefish. The two spot wouldn't eat, which I found out later likely meant he had a mate in the wild. He came up missing the day I tried to remove him to return to my LFS to save him. I then added a Peppermint shrimp and later a serpent starfish. In the process I added some zoas that flourished, until the plug fell. When I placed it back the zoas seperated and slid off the plug to slowly die one group at a time. I also added a gonipora (oops, it was a impulse buy, and would not recommend after research) who double in size in one month only to die after adding some fresh water to the overflow to lower the salinity and replace water loss due to evaporation. The gonipora died over the course of a week. The lower layers turned brown and gooped off killing the higher polyps as it went until they were all dead. I finally removed it from the tank once they had all died. I then took the opportunity to remove and scrub some live rock to remove some hair algae and cyanobacteria that had hitch hiked in on live rock when I first got the tank started. This caused my purple firefish to go into hiding. He first would peak out, but about three days ago, he disappeared. My only success to date is a scooter blenny who seems to be thriving, although I am hesitant to add him to the 90g without seeding the tank with copepods and ampipods first. Thank you, to any of you who read this entire bio, I am trying to learn from my mistakes as I value marine life greatly and do not want to kill any of these beautiful creatures. I am starting a 90 gallon with the hopes it will be more stable and a better, happier home for my fish and corals.

Thank you,
Eric and Dana

catran

Welcome to Reef Sancturary!

There's a lot of very experienced,very nice people here willing to help you, just ask a question. It's better to research before you buy or change anything in your tank. I read and read before I found RS and then read more. I have learned so much from everyone here! I sure I'll continue to learn things as long as I stay in the hobby. Everyone here learns from their mistakes, and others' mistakes. As long as we all learn, we will help our tanks and the animals in them thrive. Good luck with your 90g Eric and Dana!
Don't forget to post a chronicle of your tank with pics! We love pics! :bigbounce

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif