The "In-Depth" Surface Skimmer Upgrade Review

redseareef

RS Sponsor
That was my favorite movie when I was a kid!!!! And it is still to this day Kurt Russell's favorite movie he did!!!!!

MatthewJ

thank you for the review Laurentseattle and for saying what I think we were all thinking. I don't mind paying for it, but $40 is just way too much. I felt like it was a bit like price gouging because of high demand. Thanks steveh for mentioning the bit about the pricing. I may not necessarily think the RSM tanks are the best thing since sliced bread, but I have to say I'm pretty impressed the company and your willingness to contribute here.

Very nice to see that Red Sea is indeed actually listening to their customer's concerns. Thanks Steve H.

We'll see how the price issue will end up...

On the more technical side of things: The upgrade continues to work very nicely: Crystal clear water, significant skimate, much less bubbles. High water level "nirvana"...

No evaporation issues yet, Seattle was under local "snow storm" conditions today, yes that means 1/4 of an inch of snow...

mrfishy

hi folks
i cannot understand why people are complaining about an upgrade that improves your tank for $20 or £20 !!!!
most companies would have launched the 130d and not offered an upgrade to old 130 owners to try and get them to change tanks. how many of you got a laptop maybe 6 months ago and now its a dinosaur !!! you don't get apple offering you a free quad core processor , as the single core did work just not as well.
The original skimmer did work and you could clear the surface by adjusting the gate but the skimmer box is much better, it is big but as red sea it needs to be this size. with a bit of clever scaping you dont notice it .
how many manufacturers come on to these forums and face the public like red sea do ??

sorry for the rant but just been charged £720 for a service on my audi
one of the costs was £135 for a bl**dy relay upgrade !!! its only a switch :smack: :smack: :smack:

alphasierra

Thanks LaurentSeattle for the update on the surface skimmer. I found your review very useful and I think I'll have to get one.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
3 cheers for steveh/Red Sea on the price adjustment! :thumbup:

mrfishy - very good points! I also think it's admirable of steveh and Red Sea to take part in these forums, to assist, and at times "take the heat" on some issues. They've obviously been reading forums, and listening to customers, for quite a while, which lead to the improvements seen in later models of the 130, and now the new 130D (and the 250). :bluenod:

MatthewJ

hi folks
i cannot understand why people are complaining about an upgrade that improves your tank for $20 or £20 !!!!

It doesn't cost $20, it costs $40. $20 is perhaps still too much for a molded piece of plastic, but would certainly have not raised so many eyebrows.

most companies would have launched the 130d and not offered an upgrade to old 130 owners to try and get them to change tanks.

or, they would sell the upgrade with like a 500% markup. :poke:

sorry for the rant but just been charged £720 for a service on my audi one of the costs was £135 for a bl**dy relay upgrade !!! its only a switch

LOL. A fellow Audi owner. I feel your pain. Love to drive it, hate to own it:D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
With this current economy many places are fighting to stay afloat. I can't blame companies trying to make as much profit as possible - it's the same where I work, and my place is constantly hit with higher raw material costs, decreased profits, and cries from customers to cut prices, while we need to try to raise them to avoid losing money. It's a very tough situation now, and it'll get worse before it gets better. The surface skimmer may have been overpriced, but you have to admit that Red Sea is trying to accomodate us on the price. It may be a low cost piece of plastic, but it took paying people to design, test and maybe modify it a few times till they had something that worked well. Then pay to have the equipment designed to manufacture it. It's more than just a cheap piece of plastic. Just my two cents :)

steveh

For anypne who paid the wrong price, either send a copy of the receipt to pinky@redseafish.com (if you purchased from us directly), or speak to Marine Depot if you purchased through them. They are now aware we got the pricing wrong accidentally and are expecting to issue credits. ALl the best

steveh

Sorry, should have also mentioned that the correct mail order price is USD$25. The Accessory kit is approx USD$12.50 mail order, and the cabinet cooling kit is around USD$45 including transformer

mbdave

Now if we can just get the government to realize our taxes are way to high and get an adjustment.

bryceK

Why is marine depot still charging slightly higher prices than what steveh says the price should be? surface skimmer 29.99, accesory kit 14.99 and the cabinet cooling kit 59.99

marine281

He did say approximate, 'recommended retail price' is just that, recommended, companies can charge as much or as little as they want. And due to the low stock levels of the products currently, they will of course charge more. No competition.. once there are plenty around, prices could come down.

mzreenie

Now if only Red Sea would address the problem with the circulation pumps that blow constant bubbles.................... I just received a replactment pump the other day from RSM and it is not really any better than the original. Still too many bubbles!!!!!!!!!!!

LimoMan

I made an adjustment to my original inlet comb on the 130 about 4 months ago. Didn't think anything of it until reading this post. I simply raised the shutter that slides up and down (RSM says keep in the down position or raise temporarily to surface skim) about a half inch. I leave it in that position all the time, I have zero surface bio-film build up and the protein skimmer is going nuts! It seems it would have the same or a similar effect of the surface skimmer. You have to adjust it to where you are comfortable with the water level in the back chamber. My water level is constantly at about a quarter inch below the tops of the pumps as long as the mechanical filter is rinsed out twice a week. Good luck! Worked for me!

MatthewJ

I just got my surface skimmer. So far, I like it. I thought it would be bigger based on this thread, but it seems about right. skimmer is still chugging along nicely. no effect on bubbles AFAICT.