The Clam Chronicle - Hold on Gary, we're going for a ride!

tbittner

That is THE wildest fish I've ever seen!!! It's amazing how he "walks". It really looks like he has legs!

vdituri

Craig, I watched a video online where they slowed it down. I STILL couldn't see anything. These guys are fast!

Terry, he is amazing to watch. I need to find a diagram of their anatomy. There are no gill slits. There are gill vents behind the back "legs". Like exhaust ports.
I'm wondering if the gills became legs in their evolution. 1 set of flippers and then the gill coverings themselves. Very unusual anatomy.

vdituri

Jack, I can see the resemblance. Must be the jawline. lol

I'll have to get a short vid of him breathing. It was funny when i came home and he was floating at the top. I could see his ribcage contracting and him jetting down towards the bottom, but I couldn't figure out how he was doing it. There is not a regular gill slit like regular fish. It's like a fish wearing footy pajamas. lol

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yeah it freaked me the first time i saw one breathing. Out of the side of it's legs! Very cool creature.

JWarren

Well if he turns out to look like Paul Sr. but have the personality of Mikey, it's going to be a great fish to watch! :)

vdituri

John, I hope you didn't just curse my fish. lol

Craig, he is definitely an eater. wow. I need to buy more live foods tonight. I haven't been able to get it to strike at a dead krill or silverside yet.
I need to work on my puppetry.

I did get to see him, um pounce? on a ghost shrimp. Slowest pounce you will ever see. He just sort of floated down from the chaeto and sucked up the poor shrimp from above.
Like some kind of orange death cloud. lol

vdituri

This guy definitely loves his shrimp.
I tried luring him with krill on fishing line. He was interested for the first 2 seconds. Then nothing.
Put some ghost shrimp in there and he "springs" into action. He's patrolling the tank now at .001 mph. Looking for more snacks. :lurk:

vdituri

Greg, Just an estimate on his speed. You can see that he is moving, but a radar gun would be useless. :LOL:

vdituri

Yeah, I'm mentally prepared to wipe out schools of fish and shrimp to feed Chuckie. I swear I read on someone's post that they had theirs eating pellets, but I have a hard time believing that.
Anything's possible.

vdituri

Here is a quick video of Charlie Brown.
He decided the ghost shrimp wasn't falling fast enough so he decided to go up after it. I didn't know he had that much energy in him. lol

Sorry it's sideways. :)