The Clam Chronicle - Hold on Gary, we're going for a ride!

tbittner

Hi Cat! Sounds like your doing great! It's great to hear that your hands have become useful again. Just don't over do it. How long does it take you to complete one doll?

Victor, what does the lure look like? It looks like a little white ball hanging there. And he twitches it, just like we do when we go fishing. Too funny! Mother Nature is amazingly creative at times, isn't she. :lol:

vdituri

Terry, I need to figure out how to use my camera better.
The lure looks like a tiny fluff of moss. It's really amazing. You can't even see the fishing rod part.

Kathy, I saw that yellow one. It's awesome!
I got a screaming deal as far as anglers go. $90.
Scary kind of purchase for me. It's the most I've ever spent on a fish before.
I hope he grows up to be president. :grind:

JWarren

Victor, try turning your auto exposure off and darken it up just a tad. That part of the fish is getting slightly over exposed and getting washed out.

vdituri

Thanks for the tips. I'll try that.
My biggest problem has been that my camera won't let me zoom when shooting video. :( No close ups.

UPDATE: Hungry little fish.
Sunday Damsel
Monday Ghost Shrimp
Tuesday Ghost Shrimp

And he's changed color a bit. Seems to be trying to match the purple coralline algae.

vdituri

It has a macro setting, but I just hit macro and take my picture.
When I switch to video I loose all controls.

Fuji FinepixF20

tbittner

How are your water parameters with the sea monster eating damsels and BIG things like that? Has it had any effect?

JWarren

OK page 81 of the user manual says that you must zoom before you start taking video.

The only way I see to use the camera the way you want would be to plug into a computer that has a video capture card and record on the computer with a program such as Pennical video studio.

I didn't know it was a point and shoot that you are working with there. They are kinda limited to what they can do.

vdituri

Thanks John. I'll try that.

Terry, no change in parameters yet, but this monster is only the size of a golfball. He's not even a blip on the radar yet. The damsel was a super mini variety. About the size of nickel. And ghost shrimp.
Nothing on the scale you are preparing for. lol

tbittner

Funny story about the blue fin damsel you fed to Charlie Brown. I bought one for my reef quite some time ago because I like damsels and I've never had an aggression issue with any of them. Anyway, I had it for about 6 months, but I was really busy working on the 450 so I didn't really have time to sit and watch the 120g reef. One day I was cleaning the glass in the 120 and out swims this monster PITCH BLACK fish! I was like "What the Heck?!?!? Where did that come from?". Turns out the blue fin, as an adult, is pure black and gets to be about 6".

Stacef

Victor, I am really sad, your pictures aren't showing up for me!!! There just red x's. When I right click and click show picture, it does nothing!

vdituri

Too funny Terry. That would freak me out. What the? I didn't buy that!
PATTI! What kind of fish did you buy without telling me!?

Stace, I guess I'll have to post some more then. lol

Kathy, backing up. Yeah, I read it online somewhere. Makes sense for camouflage, but it's not a huge change so far. He's probably just getting used to the new environment.

Craig, evidence? I never leave any evidence. Clams have no fingerprints. :smoking:

The little bugger was waving his lure this morning. I wasn't sure if he was just saying good morning or hey buddy get me a cup of coffee.
So I tossed another ghost shrimp in there. And the slow motion chase was on.
Didn't stay for the ending because I had to go to work. I'll see if the shrimp is still around when I get home.

vdituri

O.k. Here are a couple fresh pics. You can kind of see some tan veining in his pattern now. Don't know if they change daily or if a more permanent pattern will emerge with time. Will be fun to see.
And a pic where you can see him with his lure out. Shrimp seemed unimpressed. Stace I hope you can see these. :)

The video is Chuckie staring down a ghost shrimp. This guy is always hungry.
Sorry, no Pink Floyd this time I forgot. Just tank gurgling noises so go ahead and mute. Oh yeah, the final strike is at the end. lol

2008_06180011.jpg

2008_06180014.jpg