The Bluespot Club

cstamper

I don't have one...I should start one. So little time.
All of the Pics I have in my photo gallery are of my 24.
Most of them with Jaws.

DrCooper

Hey everyone, Got my Blue Spot and he is great
He made a home under my brain coral in my 28 gallon
All my fish are getting along great so I keep watching him

Love him already, he digs and just spits that sand, very entertaining

RyanG

Woohoo! I have returned to this site(not that Im important) with my very first BSJF! Just got it acclimated and it dissapeared into the rocks, hopefully Ill see him more often than that!

Basser1

WOW!!! Look at all the new members....... WELCOME!! Everyone!!

RyanG..... Give your new blue some time to get adjusted to his new surroundings. If your bluespot is like mine, he'll be front and center in no time!

cstamper...... Glad to see you here!

bluespotjawfish

Welcome all newbies! Thanks for keeping up with everyone Scott!

Well, I didn't see much beggin, and I missed the prize, but still have the video to share.

RyanG

Im happy my BSJF made its den front and left center in my 180. Its got three HUGE piles of sand started, I layed down some crushed coral but it doenst look like hes using any. Anyways it seems to be happy so far. It ate voraciously at the LFS and nibbled a little at the morning feeding.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Ryan your BS will need bigger building blocks than crushed coral. It needs rubble. Larger pieces of rock and shells to line its burrow walls to keep them from caving in.

Great video Lorraine!

kaiya

So my BS is settled in fine now. Right up front. I added extra rubble and she is adding on to the mansion.

A weird thing though...I also have a pearly jawfish (much smaller than the BS) and has kept on the other side of the tank (90 gallon) until this morning.

Today, the pearly had made a nice little side extension to the BS's house.

Has anyone seen this behavior? I've read about BS pairs sharing a home sometimes with a mate, and have also read about pearly jawfish sharing burrows too.

On a side note, I suspect my BS is a female, which may contribute to the mild nature in allowing the pearly to join the side of her house. I've been researching how difficult it is to sex them unless of course you see the obvious signs ie. males flashing, female black spots...etc.

I have noticed she doesn't seem very aggressive, her head seems small compared to other BS's that i've seen, her colors appear somewhat drab compared to other BS pic's (mainly the yellow) . However, I don't have conclusive evidence. ;)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
You're right there with the rest of us on sexing this species. However, all observations are welcomed. Hopefully, some day we will come up with a reliable method for sexing.

As far as aggressiveness goes, my BS doesn't mind my Watchman hanging out with "her" either. In fact my BS is not aggressive at all towards any of the fish in the tank. As far as her color, well she looks like a banana, that's how vibrant the color is.

kaiya

Yeah, I will keep everyone posted with any behaviors noticed. :)

Just to clarify, she isn't sharing a burrow with a watchman goby, she is sharing it with a pearly jawfish. I do have a few other gobies (yellow head sleeper, yellow watchman, purple firefish) in the tank, but she doesn't pay any attention to them.

newyorkplanetand20081283.jpg

newyorkplanetand20081281-1.jpg

I know those pics are small. I'll try and get some bigger ones up with her new roomie. :)

Investigating and observing marine life is awesome. I think it is so cool that there is no definitive characteristics to determine the sex of the BSJF. It is a great reminder of how little we actually know about the grandiose world under the sea. I really hope to discover some new useful information to share with everyone.

michael_cb_125

Kaiya- Congrats on the new fish!!!

Attention all BSJF lovers:

I just was contacted by LiveAquaria. They have several BSJF in QT right now. They will be posted over the next few weeks. :)

~Michael

kaiya

Kaiya- Congrats on the new fish!!!

Attention all BSJF lovers:

I just was contacted by LiveAquaria. They have several BSJF in QT right now. They will be posted over the next few weeks. :)

~Michael

Oh no....I have a strange sensation....:hammerhea

Yep,...I need another one. :)