The Bluespot Club

kimoy

I won't really say that you can't have a BSJF on an open top tank, it also depends on the size of your tank. I have my spot in my open top 120 and I am not saying that they won't jump out because spot already did that once after a few months in the tank but I was lucky that my sump is behind the tank and that is where he decided to jump out. He's been back in the tank for almost 3 weeks now and he's been back to his home in the front of the glass. IME as long as you keep their tummy full they should be fine in bigger tanks with open tops.

Varga

I had gobys in a 20 galon and a few jumped. I have the same fish in a 100g now and no jumpers yet. but the BSJF is to expensive to take a risk

Nervoustime

IMO, no matter how long you have had your Bluespot, if you leave the top open, it will jump sooner or later. If the fish feels threatened in any way, it will jump!

bluespotjawfish

Here are some links with some options on the cover.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/diy/17452-anti-jump-proof.html

I was trying to attach my photos that I posted in these other ones, didn't even get the permalink - sorry.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/15617-lorraines-rebuilding-125-gal-tank.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/13592-90-gallon-road-trip.html

I can mail you some netting if you decide you want to do that, just let me know what size top you have, and where to mail it to.

Lorraine

corrado007

I really like Woodstocks jump proofing, thanks for the links. Now to get to the hardware store to pick up some gutter guard.

Basser1

The risk is very high for sure.

Holy Cow!!! Are you ever right Scott! I avoided a near disastrous situation last night. First of all I have a 29 gallon Biocube. The hood sits directly on top of the tank. I have done a light retro in the hood and I have a 150 watt MH with 2 double actinics. To facilitate cooling I keep both the front and back lids open. I use the plastic gutter screen to cover both front and rear openings.

Yesterday, I was doing some tank maintenance and took both screens out while I was working on it. When I got finished, I put everything back together, or so I thought! I was watching T.V. and fell asleep on the couch. The Biocubes filtration does make some noise, like a waterfall effect. While I was asleep, I kept hearing a "splashing, sloshing" noise coming from the tank. But the noise would go away, I thought my water level was getting low and was the cause of the noise.

So I finally get up and using a flashlight, I start to investigate the noise. All of a sudden, it occurs to me, I don't see Digger. Something told me to look in the rear chambers, and sure enough, there was Digger looking up at me between the heater and the pump in one of the chambers. Man I tell ya, I breathed a big old sigh of relief! After removing the heater and the pump, I was able to get my hand down ther and I gently picked him up and placed him back in the tank!

As of this afternoon, he is back in one of his burrows in the front of the tank and doesn't look bad at all.

The thing is, while I had placed the screen back in the front of the tank, I forgot to put back the back one. Needless to say I learned first-hand a valuable lesson! BSJF will jump!

lcstorc

So glad you were able to rescue him.
I am always scared that I will do the same thing and forget to put the cover back on after feeding.

30x30

Sad storyfor you all, I got a BS about a week prior to having reconstructive knee surgery. Somehow after a month the bugger had rocks shift onto him about and because i've been so busy w/ rehab I look into the tank less and less. I found the body within 18 hours of him being killed and removed the body, next morning the tank spiked and killed the rest of the fish 2 clowns and a rainsford goby. Infuriating to say the least to find him pinched, and then to loose the rest of the livestock, all the inverts in the tank survived somehow. That's what it looks like happened anyway.

I'm on the fence about just taking this down for now, but i would need to find a place for my SPS colonies...

lcstorc

How sad. I am so sorry for you.
Don't tear down the tank. Just give it some time and then re-stock. Or kist keep it a coral only tank. That can be awesome as well.

30x30

I'm about 1 month post-surgery, and the time line looks like i'll get to run on it again in about 5 months. For now, I can walk with a limp at about half normal pace but the nerves don't fire right I look like I'm sorta in a brace although i'm not. I would rather not take the tank down of course, but this is as bad a loss as i've ever had in this hobby. I doubt I take the tank down, but i have to get a chiller and some new clowns as the first order of business.

Craig Manoukian

Hang in thre and good luck with the tank. I'm 11 weeks out of recostructive surgery on my left knee. No limp. riding a bike, can jog ever so lightly. Hang in there!

bluespotjawfish

BJ was out playing this morning when my dogs woke me up early.

Attachments

• P1060905_edited-sm.JPG
    P1060905_edited-sm.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 45
  • P1060906_edited-sm.JPG
    P1060906_edited-sm.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 45
  • P1060911_edited-sm.JPG
    P1060911_edited-sm.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 45
  • P1060908_edited-sm.JPG
    P1060908_edited-sm.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 45

30x30

I guess it is okay to post this stuff here cause it lead to the demise of a BSJF. I had a left ACL tear w/ hamstring reconstruction. The sad thing is my next purchase has to be a chiller and a new halide bulb for the summer instead of restocking that's what makes it so disappointing. I really like Blue spots but 2 down sucks 3x as bad as losing 1.