the beginging of time

bullet

Not really but what better way to start off by saying that I/we my wife and I Shortie
are very new to Salt water Aquariums/ Nano tanks. We have just purchased a used Biocube 29
with a bunch of equipment IE heater, NEW Lights plus LEDs also uv lighting along with refugium lighting, protein skimmer and a 400 gph pump we have 21lbs of live rock and 20lbs of LS also we used 17.6 gallons of nutria sea sea water
We just set this up on 21JAN2014 and put cheato in on 22Jan and now are waiting for our tank to cycle. We/I haven't done any water testing as of yet. But trying to get the wife to be patient is
a little bit of a pain LOL I just tell her the wait will be well worth time and effort. I read quite a before we started and plan on continuing. I have learned quite a bit over the last few weeks and it made our desicion a lot easier on what how why and when. The people on here are very informative with their answers. Thanks in advance for your help as I am sure I will still have questions in the future

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi and welcome to RS!!! Friendly bunch of helpful folks here, feel free to ask any questions you may have!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Bullet & Shortie :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
Starting a reef chronicle thread for YOUR TANK would be a great thing to do.
You'll get :help1: to have the patience starting a SW tank takes & friendly advice each step of the cycle process.
Hope you get to feeling right at home here & share your tank build with us.
Very BEST WISHES :biker

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
:swmfish::welcomera:swmfish::welcomera:swmfish::welcomera:swmfish:

If you have any questions, just post them on the forum and someone will help you out.
They're a friendly bunch of people on here and you'll be sure to make some good contacts and great friends.
Once you have posted 5 messages, you'll be able to start a Reef Chronicle and add some photos to show the rest of the world your handy-work.
Once you start your Reef Chronicle, the following instructions will put your photos into your messages.:ofr:
When you go to your library in Photobucket, you need to "Copy" the http:// address that is in the "Direct" tab of the photo.
When you go to your thread on RS, click on "Insert Image" and "Paste" thehttp://address.
You can add one picture at a time, or put a ";" followed by a space, between eachhttp:// address.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck and I look forward to see your photos in the near future. :geekin:

YorkieUK.

bullet

first off thanks for asking . Yes we are using live rock and live sand 21 lbs of LR and Just under 20 Lbs of LS. Also no bioballs we are going ti use cheato to help start refugium we added a little bit more than golf ball size on day 2. we have the refugium light on for 16 hrs. and the tanks lights the blue light one hour before and one hour after the white light goes out total on time together for TL is 7hrs and 9 hrs for the blue lights, we havent used the leds at all to speak off

bullet

i will bring water sample to lfs and have checked. I should mention that my LFS is a
SW only dealer and has been around for 21 yrs which made us feel better when we
decided to go used instead of new. Also what is best way to bring water sample ?
A ziplock baggie, glass jar, tupperware ? any recommendations ?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Any will work, but I prefer a clean tupperware since it's non breakable.

bullet

I havent posted in this section in awhile since I started a tank thread under NANO reefs called "one stop at the LS now look what happened " but all is going well with the tank

bullet

There a couple of things missing from the pic a Red Bubble tip Anomone, tree xenia and a trumpet coral along with a zoanthids

bullet

our xenia decided to close up and die on us (I think) sunday afternoon. It is closed right up into the base with no rhyme or reason, has anyone had this happen to them ?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sorry to read about your Xenia :(
I think (although I've never had any in my tank) it's generally considered a very hardy coral.
It might be an indication that you need to re-test your water parameters closely the next few days.
Did you remove the Xenia? I hope someone can advise you that has experience with Xenia.