The 90G Build.

12g Dude

Thanks for posting your build. I'm in the middle of a 90 Galllon tech series build myself. I just bough 100LBS of Live rock and will let it cure for a few weeks. My last purchase is going to be sand. have you figured out how much sand you will need to buy to get a good 2" sand bed in the 90. I was thinking around 120LBS? Does anyone have a good calculation for SQ foot area and LBS of sand?

Last edited:
ya havent got that far yet with the sand but I am In the process of collecting and curing LR as we speak. I should have more progress by the end of this week I'm just waiting on a RODI unit to arrive and then Ill start the fill process.

Well allmost fill time.:invisible

Finally no more going to the supermarket with empty jugs!!!!
DSC03129.jpg

Fittings for the install.
DSC03133.jpg

Old Ice maker filter, soon to be gone.
DSC03135.jpg

Disconnected.
DSC03137.jpg

1/4 Female to 1/4 Compression.
DSC03140.jpg

New valve on, this will be the incoming source to the RODI unit.
DSC03143.jpg

Next marked the spot for the waste water. Word of advice when you purchase a unit and you need a fitting like this, pick one up along with your order I made the mistake when I knew I needed one and when I went to Lowes,Hd, and some mom and pop plumbing stores they all didnt have It. Lucky I found a water purifacation warehouse and they were able to locate one.
DSC03146.jpg

1/4 Hole, tried to get close as possible to the top of the pipe.
DSC03147.jpg

Make sure you dont go through the bottom.
DSC03151.jpg

I lined It up with the bit and tighten It down.
DSC03152.jpg

Drain fitting on.
DSC03153.jpg

Yellow from tap, black waste water to drain.
DSC03158.jpg

Fill test.
DSC03162.jpg

T-valve for Ice maker. Yellow line going to copper pipe.
DSC03163.jpg

And now Its fill Time!!!
DSC03164.jpg

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
UMMMm only thing that worries me is that T to the ice maker, when your putting water to the tank could it back draw water from the copper line? maybe you need a one way in there? Steve

UMMMm only thing that worries me is that T to the ice maker, when your putting water to the tank could it back draw water from the copper line? maybe you need a one way in there? Steve

Ya It ran across my mind also when I installed It, I was originaly going to buy a spilter at the main output but I also wanted the water to be filtered going to the ice machine aswell. Im kind of In a catch 22 It seems, I want the clean Ice, but dont want the copper In the tank. Ill have to dig around Lowes some more and see what I can come up with. Let me know If you have any Ideas. Thanks.

12g Dude

If your fridge is on the same side of the kitchen as your RO, Just swap out the copper line with a poly (plastic) one instead. I've been using the same RO water for my salt water mix and ice maker/drinking water for years without a problem. I swapped out the copper line to the frigde in my current house for plastic just in case though.

SZHTTM

MR PALM BEACH;

I also really like the canopy and stand you acquired!!!! Would you please tell me what kind of wood that is and the what the finish is on it. I'm planning my future tank and just might "steal" that style. LOL!!

Also, you mentioned a store in your area ("Oceans Below"). I have heard of that that store before and if I remember correctly, they are pretty knowledgable and have a great selection. Would you please let me know where they are located and if they have a web address.

Thank You And Have Fun!!!;
:thumber:

MR PALM BEACH;

I also really like the canopy and stand you acquired!!!! Would you please tell me what kind of wood that is and the what the finish is on it. I'm planning my future tank and just might "steal" that style. LOL!!

Also, you mentioned a store in your area ("Oceans Below"). I have heard of that that store before and if I remember correctly, they are pretty knowledgable and have a great selection. Would you please let me know where they are located and if they have a web address.

Thank You And Have Fun!!!;

The stand and canopy are a AGA make. Im not really sure of the color finish because Its actually a wood laminate, so basically I think Its just a nice looking sticker covering It. The plus to It Is no visible hinges and no center brace in the middle to get in the way. As far as Oceans Below goes they dont have a web address but here Is the street address. Rob Is the owner and him and his wife are really knowledable and can help you in any way needed, live stock, corals, custom cabinetry, you name It he can build It. If you never been there check It out they have some really nice displays throughout the store. The setup In this build was all purchased from Oceans Below.

OCEANS BELOW
503 A NORTH LAKE
NORTH PALM BEACH, FL, 33408-
Phone: (561) 842-2221
Fax: (561) 848-1745

If your fridge is on the same side of the kitchen as your RO, Just swap out the copper line with a poly (plastic) one instead. I've been using the same RO water for my salt water mix and ice maker/drinking water for years without a problem. I swapped out the copper line to the frigde in my current house for plastic just in case though.

Ya my fridge Is on the opposite of the counter and the copper pipe Is ran through the wall about 12 feet around and comes out the wall behind the fridge. I could run plastic pipe through the cabinets but the only problem I might run Into Is It will go behind the oven also. Only thing I could get away with Is putting It through some metal pipeing when Its behine the oven. But that will be another project when this one finally Is done:smirk: .

Making sure everythng Is In check, only F/W circulating right now.
DSC03165.jpg

Knock on would no leaks visable or should I say yet!
DSC03169.jpg

CSS Is doing something, kinda od no salt added yet but It works.
DSC03176.jpg

Salt & sand added with the K4 pumping crazy circulation.
DSC03177.jpg

This morning got up to no floods, what a relief. And here Is the aftermath from the K4. Tank still a little hazy.
DSC03179.jpg

DSC03181.jpg

Right side
DSC03180.jpg

Left side
DSC03182.jpg

A little help to get the cycle going.
DSC03183.jpg

lcstorc

Looks like you need to adjust those powerheads. Try pointing them at each other to create a more random flow and to keep your substrate where it needs to be.
It looks like a very nice setup. Everything neat and tidy.

Thanks for the tip, I actually moved them around again today and still no justice. But Ill point them together and give that a shot. Actually I even thought for a second on getting 2 more K4 but Im not sure If thats taking It a little overboard on the flow.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thats some funky rock you have there. I like it. The set up is looking pretty sweet. All you need is a Inline Check Valve to stop the flow on that ice maker hook up. Sas gave you a good link i saw.

Craig Manoukian

Nice chronology as well as workmanship and planning. The sand wil bind together and move less as your tank cycles and matures. Running the flow into opposite corners so the flows cross as suggested may work for you. In adition, adding some bridge work in the middle wil help dissapate the flow.

Nice start, your fish will love the high water turnover you have with the Ocean Runner. Great stuff from AquaMedic, eh?

SZHTTM

Mr. Palm Beach;

One suggestion as per your pictures is for your return lines in the tank.

It seems that you have them pretty deep in the tank. If the power goes out, those return lines will become siphons until air can break that siphon.

Have you tested this to ensure that your sump will be able to handle the extra capacity?

If your sump can not handle it, you can raise your return tubes higher.

Good Luck And Have Fun!!!;

Craig Manoukian

Mr. Palm Beach;

One suggestion as per your pictures is for your return lines in the tank.

It seems that you have them pretty deep in the tank. If the power goes out, those return lines will become siphons until air can break that siphon.

Have you tested this to ensure that your sump will be able to handle the extra capacity?

If your sump can not handle it, you can raise your return tubes higher.

Good Luck And Have Fun!!!;

You can also drill a 1/16" hole in the line just below the water surface which will break the siphon before much water leaves the display tank.

SZHTTM thanks for the heads up, to tell you the truth I totally forgot to test the backflow capacity of the sump In case the power when out. Thanks I really appreciate that. Could of been nightmare waiting to happen!:thumbup:

CRAIG MANOUkKIAN thanks also for the tip Im strongly going to take It Into concideration. I had somone from our local reef club suggest the the same thing. I think Its a really great Idea!:thumbup: