The 180gal Family Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkipigtails

hmmm. Where's Boomer or Sas or Heinz? They know how vinegar affects... crap... calcium or alk, therefore pH I think... right? The teeny bit that might be left after rinsing prob won't even register I think. Maybe it was Prow who got into that. I forget.

Yeah Kathy, I know it affects pH or something like that, but we're going to rinse it out again before we add anything else to the tank. The trace amounts that would be left behind after the second rinse should be small enough to not have much affect after the first or second water change.

BarbMazz

WHAT have you done to that BABY! She is totally exhausted. LOL That is a great picture. I think you might actually be able to use that one for blackmail when she's... ohhh.... about 15 or so! Don't delay! Make a Blackmail File today!

Tanks look great! You're ready to go, you know. Isn't that wonderful after all the work you've done, and with a new baby! Pound yourself on the back for me.

Remember, wait at least two months before adding a clam! :nono: :grind:

nikkipigtails

Thanks for looking everyone!

JoJo: The second tank is going to be an RBTA tank.

Lorraine: If the big tank doesn't work out, it's going to be my coffin. :dead:

Barb: She was a PAIN yesterday! She would not go down for a nap and was fighting sleep all day. When Tommy got home, I gave her a bath while he was moving the tank in and then put her in her bouncer so we could work on the overflow. All of a sudden I noticed that she was really quiet, I looked over and she was just passed out! I've got a million awesome pics like that for later use.

G!N+T0N!K

:lurk: now this is getting interesting. :bouncer: nice work! I knew my tank was going to be too loud and too bright to put in the living room. I wanted it in the living room so bad but decided it would be best to put it in the dining room on a wall that can be seen from half the living room though some double doors that can be opened for viewing or closed for noise and light reduction. Now I spend more time in the dining room then the living room.

nikkipigtails

you should think about a PVC swing check a a flood prevention measure

Thanks but adding or subtracting plumbing right now is not an option. We made sure that the sump can accommodate the extra water in case of a power outage and we're good, but we just can't do anymore plumbing.

nikkipigtails

:lurk: now this is getting interesting. :bouncer: nice work! I knew my tank was going to be too loud and too bright to put in the living room. I wanted it in the living room so bad but decided it would be best to put it in the dining room on a wall that can be seen from half the living room though some double doors that can be opened for viewing or closed for noise and light reduction. Now I spend more time in the dining room then the living room.

We wanted to put ours in the wall and put all the guts in the garage but we're planning on moving in a few years and didn't want to have to patch a giant hole. When we move to a place where we're going to live for a while, then we'll have a dedicated fish room.

framerguy

We wanted to put ours in the wall and put all the guts in the garage but we're planning on moving in a few years and didn't want to have to patch a giant hole. When we move to a place where we're going to live for a while, then we'll have a dedicated fish room.
You will love a DFR! We decided to put ours in the garage at the new house because 1:Our truck barely fits in the garage, and 2: We didn't have one at the other house so it's not something we'll miss.

Do you not want to do more plumbing because you are sick of doing it, or some other reason? A check valve is simple and quick to install, but I can understand the "sick of it" reason!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

That's exactly what we're planning to do. It will be a MONSTER in the wall with all the "Goods" (sump, fuge, frag racks etc) down in the basement.

Nikki you and Tommy have done an AWESOME job!!!

nikkipigtails

Greg: Mostly, we're just tired of it, but our plumbing is such a tight fit that I think we'd have to re-do a lot of it to fit a check valve. That's why we made sure that our sump can accommodate the drainage from a power outage. Our tank is back drilled with the drains at the top of the tank so only a couple of inches drain out of the DT when the pumps are turned off. Only about an inch drains out of the RBTA tank with the HOB overflow box. Our sump is a 75 gal tank so we've got the room. Our garage is a 1 car and neither one of our cars would fit (I have an Envoy, Tommy has a 4-door Z-71) but it's full of a pool table, still, grrrrr, and, ironically, tank stuff that we haven't installed yet.

Al: Thanks! We've been working really hard on this big project even though it looks like we're moving really slow. Part of it is money the other part is time. Tommy just moved to working 4-10's so he's got 3 day weekends and we've got one day a week dedicated to working on the tank until we get it established and the rest of the weekend to do other stuff.

JoJo: I REALLY want an RBTA (rose bubble tip anemone) but I want a tank dedicated to it. I don't want to have to deal with worrying if it wanders over expensive or large corals so we plumbed the 41 gallon into the larger system for the stability of the larger water volume. I may stick some small zoas in there once it seems like it's settled. We're not going to be able to add it right away of course, but the fact that we're working up to it makes me really excited.

Varga

patching a big hole in the wall is super easy! you can still put it in the wall since its not stocked yet.

I think if your sump can handle the back flow you shouldn't need a ball valve

Status
Not open for further replies.