Terry's 450g upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelastmucci

sorry about the blackouts guys...we've been having allot of thunderstorms here in teh northeast too the last couple of days...makes me want to get a generator but I can't justify it...especially since I don't have anything in it yet..plus I live in an apt so it'd be difficult to run the thing.

tbittner

Greg, I had promised Frankie some pics of the seams of the tank, and I'll try to get some tonight. Glass cages has this size of a tank classified as industrial. They put a TON of extra bracing all the way around the bottom and the bracing around the top is unbelievable! There isn't any way this tank will leak or bow. The seams along the bottom will be covered with sand and the outside trim so you won't be able to see it, which is the way it should be IMHO. I even told Patti last night that now that I know how Glass Cages builds tanks, I wish I would have had them build the 450 too.

And for the stand, by having the bolts like that, when we were leveling the legs we got the leg closest to the 450 stand at the height we wanted so it would match the height of the 450. Then we leveled it across. And with the bolts, we could adjust the level down to a tiny fraction of an inch. Then we put in the next leg and leveled it to the first leg. Repeat that for all four legs. We ended up with a meticulously leveled stand.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
WoWZER!! Man what a reefer's dream!! Two HUGE tanks! I guess that makes you president of the Over 240 club :D

I really like the micro leveling ability. I wish I had those on my 120's stand that is tilting a tad :(

tbittner

Thanks Doni. Another bit of information that might be of interest, I designed it so that I can tweak the bolts at anytime in the future too. I left just enough room to get between the leg and the floor to get a wrench in there. So if they were sitting on carpet, the bolts could be adjusted as the carpet settled, even when the tank is full.

thelastmucci

All great ideas terry...I really like your thoughts on the generator.

I wonder does glass cages do wall installs as well...just trying to plan for my future home LOL...

tbittner

I don't know if they would be willing to come to your house and build a room aquarium. But for enough money.... :lol:

tbittner

We got the tank cleaned out this evening. We also got the drain pipe completed. Once I get the CL pipes run and get the unionized ball valves installed, then I can start to fill the tank. That will take a while as I'm going to fill it with RO/DI saltwater so I'll be adding 360g of clean water to the entire system. I'm hoping to have it filled by early next week and then get the predators and the rock moved. The new lights should be here on Monday. I ordered two of these. I really want the lighting to look at least close to each other between the two tanks. This light also solves my moonlighting problem.

https://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RCU01153

thelastmucci

Terry I really like the light but how is it going to solve your moonlight problems..the only thing I can figure is you can put maybe one or two on at night. Maybe it has LED's and I missed it???

tbittner

Each light has 4 LEDs with replaceable covers to change the color of the light. They include blue and white covers. They're by no means top of the line lights but I think they will work perfectly for the predator tank. They can also sit end to end because the fans are out the rear in the fixture, instead of the ends.

I'm trying to save some money so I can buy more corals! We still have a lot of empty space in the 450. :D

tbittner

I got the CL plumbing pretty much figured out. I installed the gate valves on each of the holes and closed them so I'm almost ready to start adding water. I want to install the locline fittings inside the tank before doing that though because it would be miserable trying to install them after it's full. The locline fittings I need won't be here until Monday though, when the lights get here. Oh well, relax time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.