Terry's 450g upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbittner

I'll get some close up pics of the seams and everything tomorrow. Patti and I were really marveling at all the braces and everything. The build date was 5-21-08. They say to not add water for a month from that date. So it'll be another couple of weeks before it gets wet.

CMG

I go away for a week and all of a sudden you have a new tank! And now I am leaving tomorrow for another two weeks! Who knows what you are going to have by then!!! haha

Motokorth

Well terry, how about a little remote controlled vehicle that has a magnet on its base with the matching magnet scrubber on the inside of the tank. Then you could also say mount a little camera on it so you can have it take pictures as you control it over the glass =D. Or better yet make movies.

Hows that for an idea.

tbittner

Our daughter has a small remote control submarine....

hmmmm.......

:lol:

Happy Fathers Day!

Well, I had a fun day. The toilet in the master bath started leaking, so we went to Lowes and bought a new one. I spent the afternoon installing it. Fun job! I think I'll switch careers and specialize in installing them. NOT!!!!

Oh well, at least we also got to go to Mr. Coral and bought a few really nice pieces. I got them into the reef BEFORE having all that fun with the toilet. And no, I don't have any pictures yet. And I also don't have any pictures of the toilet and I'm not taking any either! :lol:

JoJo

Terry i went through the toilet thing too when we remodeled the 1st bathroom. lets just say i have a higher respect for plumbers :lol:

now, back to the issue at hand...NO PICS! to be fair we'll let you slide since it was Father's Day :lol:

Craig Manoukian

Oh well, at least we also got to go to Mr. Coral and bought a few really nice pieces. I got them into the reef BEFORE having all that fun with the toilet. And no, I don't have any pictures yet. And I also don't have any pictures of the toilet and I'm not taking any either! :lol:

Spoil sport!:look:

althea2you

wow!! that is going to look amazing!!! can not WAIT to see it!!! wish i was closer! i would come to the open house as well!! LOL

tbittner

We just got power back about a 1/2 hour ago, it's been out since around 3 pm. The generator has been running everything, including the lights. Gotta love those Solaris'! I couldn't have run them if I was using MH's. And I'm sure the corals would have been fine without them. It was more of a test, just to see if i have a big enough generator. It's only a 6200 watt and it handled everything just fine, including ALL pumps.

Now I'm heading to bed, now that I got everything switched back over to the wall sockets. I didn't get anything else done this evening.

JoJo

i ever heard of expected power outages, its always because of a strong storm. is the generator big enough to run the tanks plus other things, lights, frig, ect.?

tbittner

Yeah, it's big enough to run everything, just not all at once. I'm working on a much better solution than running extension cords everywhere though. I'm going to put a breaker in the panel and connect it to the 220 plug on the generator. When the electric goes out, I'll turn off the main breaker and disconnect my house from the power company lines. Then I'll turn off every breaker. Then start the generator. Turn it's breaker on, which will power the panel. Then turn on whatever breakers we need at the moment. We'll have RUNNING WATER then! :woohoo:

We have a well, so no electric, no water pump, no water. I can't run the entire house all at once with it, but I can move the electric around to whatever we need at the moment by turning breakers on and off.

Techno-Vicki

we are getting them set up now. I am trying to get my last typing in before going 'black'. We have 2 generators; the 3600 will run the 2 tanks (lights out) and frig. and the water cooler, and the Honda 2000 will run the prop tank over at Mom and Dad's.

tbittner

GOOD LUCK!!!

I calculated it out that the 6200w generator that I have is big enough to run anything in our house, but not all at once of course. I also wanted a generator with a 220v plug.

JoJo

gotcha Terry. my dad and i was talking about that on Sunday, i would like to put that type of breaker in the panel for the same reason. i have to start shopping for a generator after i calculate the minimum watts i will need.

tbittner

Well, even as tired as I was this evening, I still managed to get the plumbing started for the 360. Didn't get a lot done, but I gotta start somewhere. I'm waiting for some plumbing parts that I had to order online because none of the stores in this area carry them. Actually, there is one store that carries the gate valves but they want 4x's what I can get them for online, so I'll wait a few days for them to save a bunch of money.

cracker

Terry, 1st pic.post 1771, I see adjustable set screws along the bottom of the stand , like the stand for the beast. What type or kind of bolts & carriers did You use for these? I'm most interested in this. I had to use shims & it was a pita to get it all level. Thanks

tbittner

I made my own. I cut a piece of 3" x 1/4" steel, which has angle bracing on the edges to make it stronger, and I cut it 3" long. I drilled small holes in the steel to screw it fast to the bottom of each leg. Then I drilled a hole big enough for a 1/2" bolt to fit through. I drilled the same size hole in the leg for the bolt to screw up in to. I hammered a nut into the leg. I put a nut on the bolt, all the way to the top, and added a really thick washer on top of the nut. The bolt goes through the hole in the steel and screws into the nut that is embedded in the bottom of the leg.

I bought the steel at home depot, along with all the bolts, nuts, and washers. Using these, the stand is 100% completely level in every direction. And with the large surface area of the steel on the bottom of the leg, and the large washer between the steel and the nut, it's not going anywhere. The stand didn't budge or groan or anything when we put the 800 lb tank on top of it. Granted, it's going to get another 3,100 lbs on them but I really doubt if it will be a problem, especially when you consider that the 3,100 lbs (3,900 total) will be spread out across 8 legs so it's only 490 lbs per leg.

framerguy

Sweet! I kind of wish I had gone with Glass Cages now but didn't want to pay more for the same size tank in glass than in acrylic. Well, you have your tank now and you ordered yours after I did. I really think Tenacor lost my order until I called them. Anyway, it will be here on the 23rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.