Tell Us Your Biggest Mistake

Yarr

i change my biggest mistake.. it is now about me buying a JEBO skimmer. As per the other thread i made.. most worthless POS i have ever paid money for.

RanRoc

john said:
i posted already but i have another??? had a light over my sump"taped" on and it fell in my sump!!needless to say,the salt corroded the batteries and the acid got in my tank and wiped it out!!!!!!!!! not very proud but sharing it anyway.

Thanx for sharing. We all make mistakes, and hopefully others will learn from it...both newbies and experienced.

-RY

Yarr said:
i change my biggest mistake.. it is now about me buying a JEBO skimmer. As per the other thread i made.. most worthless POS i have ever paid money for.

Here's one---having my tank going for almost 3 months......and forgetting to clean the intake pipes.

.....hhhmmmm....wondered why it seemed like my water wasn't moving around like it should.

Anne :eek: :smck: :eek: :)

Nigma

not cleaning/wetting the sand before putting in the tank.... had cloudy water for a week... it was bad.

nightfire76

i have 2,first was starting a new tank with fresh water salt and not sea mix and the secound was getting addicted to this super high dollar hobby when i was knee high to a polyp :D

MrPex

Had a small 38 gal hex about 10 years ago for about 2 years, then got a 60 about 3 months ago... no major mistakes yet... been taking things slowly and double and triple checking myself on here and at LFS before I make any changes or additions... but man, I'm sure dreading finding out what that first major mistake will be, cuz I know it'll happen!

proenca

oh man, where do I start ?

I've been in the hobby for a few years so I have my long share of mistakes.. let's see :

- thinking that a LFS knows everything and we should go by them and that a Seaclone skimmer is more than enough for a 60g reef tank with loads of fish
- trying to make a water change , putting a pump on the bottom of the bucket with a hose, connecting the pump and NOT having the hose inside the aquarium while wife enters the living room - quite interesting.
-trying to adjust alk too fast and getting ca to precipitate nicely ...
- thinking that was uber cool that all my clams are spawning and just opening a beer and enjoying the show.. and then running for the LFS for RO water and doing massive water changes in a rush, because the water was cloudy and getting foul by the second due to the release of eggs / sperm of my 9 clams simulstaneously
- adding a Lineatus tang where I had a Sohal already
- adding an Asfur angel where I had a Narvachus already
- pulling a fireworm with barehands - episode still fresh in my memory today
- not paying attention that my Sohal wasnt very appreciative when I did my tank chores - the scar from the his slash is still here, 7 years after, on my hand
- thinking "maybe that lionfish is small and wont eat my clownfish"
- thinking "how cool would it be to have a school of premnas"

shall I go on ? :)