Tell Us Your Biggest Mistake

dobejazz

I have to say my biggest mistake was what also brought me to RS
My LFS sold us the set up 24 gal JBJ nano cube.
Live rock and sand added 2-16 on 2-26 they were very helpful in selecting the first inhabitants
a BTA,
percula clown
catalina goby
Xenia
10 hermit crabs
10 mexican turbo snail
needless to say but by 3-5 9 snails and the catalina goby died and the BTA looking like it was on it's way out brought me to RS!! (BTA is fine now)
They also sold me before I wised up and stopped listening to them between February and May
RIP
3 small red stars
flame scallop
long tenticled plate coral
brain coral
yellow clown goby - starved
Twin spot coris wrasse - given away after he ate crabs and snails
(told repeatedly by LFS it was reef safe and would not out grow my tank.They also said if he didn't work they would give me credit silly me I didn't ask how much)

still have galaxy coral they said was fine for my tank they didn't mention stinging sweepers and keeping it 6" away from any other corals. Kinda limiting in a 24 gal tank.
But I'm happy in that I am here and they did sell me on the tank!!

Jendub

upgrading and impulse are my two mistakes

oh and setting up a tank only to empty it and move it 6 feet across the floor....fun times. :rolleyes:

RanRoc

Impulsiveness and impatience seem to be ubiquitous in this hobby...especially for newbies. It's great to know that I was not alone. These are great recounts of experiences that new hobbyists reading this thread may find valuable.

I also wish that I put the tank in a different spot. Mine is in the corner of a room that is not easily viewable for those sitting in the room.

-RY

misbehavior

Writing an email to Witful asking about how many hermit crabs I needed for my new reef tank. I thought he was kidding about crabs being evil. My first mistake, not too cool but, still smiling :)

rckmtl

::laughs:: I should have read this post before putting up the one I just did. I definatally should have left space to get behind my tank the first time. But my biggest mistake was probably -not- using a drain and fill hose all these years. So much better with one. Just suuuuuucck and the water change is halfway done. next biggest-not having a mixing tank/contanier Now I just mix, puuuummp and the second half is done. So much better the using a 2 gal bucket.

ReefLady

Staff member
Trying to care for too many tanks at once. Juggling a reef, a nano and a prop tank = not enough attention to any of them.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
1.} Buying on impulse without researching.
2.} Not waiting for my first tank to fully cycle before adding livestock.
3.} Spending the money and buying the proper equipment the first time around instead of constantly upgrading.
4.}Not joining a reefing forum right from the start.

The list is long but I'll stop here :columbo:

64Ivy

1. Adding a few mushrooms to the tank several years ago.

2. Getting caught up in the Great Crystal Sea Bioassay Salt Migration. That took two full years to completely recover from.

Witfull

64Ivy said:
2. Getting caught up in the Great Crystal Sea Bioassay Salt Migration. That took two full years to completely recover from.
that was a mistake alot of peeps made, your not alone~

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Well... one of my big mistakes was thinking THIS hideous thing was pretty and leaving it in my tank! Years later, I am still plucking them from my rocks! :rolleyes:

61monsterbubblealgae.JPG

Gina

RS STAFF
:LOL: I did that also Doni! First time I saw it, thought it was some type of coral!! Posted a pic at the forum we used to frequent and was told get rid of it!! And, what ever you do don't break one in the tank!!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Wow Doni those are beautiful...ROTFL
I also have a couple pop up here and there it was introduced when I added some Zoa's. :columbo:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I am not sure... probably. The valonia in the photo above was hiding behind a rock so it was able to grow very large. It was about 1" in diameter :eek: