Tell Us Your Biggest Mistake

Witfull

its not that they "pop", its more of a structual weakness will occur,(or it gets bitten) once this happens, the parent bubble dies and the spores flow free to make babies~

KimPossible

I've got 1 gigantic black pearl :)
It keeps getting bigger. I guess I'll have to take my entire 20lb. slab out to remove the sucker! And even then.... I better chisle off the surrounding rock as to not rupture the bubble and get the spores on the slab.

Aussie_81

tank sitting an almost bare 800ltr tank for a friend. I sort of decided to improve it... a year later when they came to pick it up i couldn't really just give them all the fish and coral i had added (a lazy $1000 or 2 worth) to the now budding reef system, now could I...???

christyf5

1. Not buying a RO/DI unit from the start
2. Being too impatient
3. Getting sucked in by LFS for pretty much everything in the first year

pablosol

Hi,

My biggest mistake: Not making enought water changes.
Other big mistake: Putting into the tank incompatible species.

carolina reefer

Forgetting to put the siphon hole in pipe before turning the pump on to check for leaks. Cut pump off to fix leak. Where could all that water be coming from to overflow the sump....?

Tom Vick

Last setup I started with WAY to big of a pump...high pressure, high wattage...more flow than my overflows could handle. So of course I cut it back with valves...after several months of ludicris power bills I swapped it out. Now my chiller cuts off sometimes! Switching pumps droped my tank 6 degrees!

blue_eyes53813

Well lets see. Where do i start? My biggest and scariest was when my HM canopy that had my $1200.00 MH light hood setting on it wasnt made the best. I was in a hurry and wanted to get my lights on the tank. I told my ex to hurry because i just had to see the lights on the tank and the first time the lights was bumped they fell in the water. It was running , fan and all and made a huge mess. My ex husband went to grab for the lights ( mind you they are in the water) ( gosh I should of let him jk)Anyway i learned to do things right and dont hurry....This hobby should be renamed to patience tanks

jimeluiz

My recent biggest mistake was trying to change out a VHO lamp without turning off all the power to the lights. SZZZSIP! Blown ballast. Could be an expensive mistake if not still on warranty!

Jerome

I had my first salt water tank in high school 20 years ago. Three words "under gravel filter" need I say more. Though it was thought at the time the way to do things sheesh weve come a long ways.

:jumprope:

snaz

Thought I had a great idea.

Ran a 1/4 water supply line from the basment to the 2nd floor of the house, so I didnt have to carry buckets of water up the stairs.

Guess what happened.

Do you want to know what happened?

Snaz