Tank turned 49 this year

Paul B

Today I went down to my boat to do some important stuff (relax).

I noticed plenty of grass shrimp around the boat and I collected a bunch. After looking at the expression on their faces I could tell that they would rather stay in the marina than my tank so I said good bye and set them free. They are happy.
So I had a beer, and read the newspaper before going in the cabin, turning on the air conditioner and pondered the universe (took a nap).
Tomorrow, if it doesn't rain I will take my Grand Kids to my favorite tide pool to do a little collecting.

Paul B

I asked my neighbor today if he wanted to go across the Sound to the Bronx for a nice lunch of clams on the half shell with a few beers. He couldn't go so I went myself like I often do. The summer is to short to give up boating even for a day. Life is what you make it and I won. My theory is that if you can retire before you croak, you made it. But if you die while you are still working, you lost.

Paul B

Thank you, I am very happy with my "Sun Dancer" Sea Ray. I try to get as much partying on her as I can

cracker

Paul, I little while ago You wrote about "earth worms". Do You mean a plain ole worm dug up from under a pile of old leaves type of worm? So I could go down to Steve's bait shop and buy a container of red wrigglers. the kind used for brim fishin? Now these are not the big fat night crawlers nor are they black but they aren't exactly red either. However they do wriggle a lot. My concern is would one want to clean/leech out the digestive tract before feeding? Maybe a dip in salt water like a bag of crawfish before boiling. How easy would it be to setup a worm bed where you could put your left over produce and such ?. By the way the wrasses look very nice. I recently purchased a skinny copper band. She is eating well and filling out.

Paul B

Yes, regular earthworms you find in your garden under leaves are fine. They are full of al sorts of things you may not want in your tank so I would keep them in something clean for a week like damp oatmeal to clean them out. You can freeze them and chop them up or if your fish are large enough, feed them whole. People are under the impression you have to spend money on food. But sometimes you don't. Anemones can handle worms whole as many fish can. They are a very good food if you can get them. I am not sure about all types of worms, but I know regular earthworms are fine.

DaveK

Marine betas are a fantastic fish. You may see the fish more often that feeding time. Some like to always hide, others will come out more often.

Paul B

I have not had one of these in decades. He is eating live blackworms so far but soon he will eat clams like the rest of my tank. He hasn't come out yet, but my tank has more hiding places than open spaces. I once had a cusk eel for 18 years and never saw it unless I crawled around the tank with a flashlight at night. I killed it by accident when I didn't even know he was there

Paul B

I just came back from collecting 30 gallons of NSW and I would swear this stuff gets heavier every time I collect it. Normally I don't do much to it except heat it and add a little ASW because the salinity here in New York is low for some reason but it is very turbid with all sorts of black particles in it so I had to diatom filter it. I only had a very little bit of diatom powder on hand so I didn't do as good a job as I would have liked but now it is crystal clear and I am just waiting for it to heat up before I dump it in. I even checked the nitrates and they are zero, calcium is 440.
I took it from the Coast Guard Station near Jones Beach. Near here.

Paul B

Last night was the best fireworks display for me personally (since the By Centinial)

We were anchored out in a bay in the Long Island Sound about 100 yards from the fireworks barge so they exploded over our heads. Our closest, life long friends were with us, But the best part is that from there, we could see Manhattan, Queens the Bronx, Connecticut and Long island so we were completely surrounded by fireworks besides the ones over our heads. At the end I blasted "God Bless America" and all the boats blow their horns. There were quite a few boats and thousands of spectators on the shores. Of course I got stopped by the Coast Guard on my way beck because one of my navigation lights went out, but I replaced the bulb in a few minutes and all is well. I hope everyone had a great time.

newo11

Paul, I always end up missing Long Island just a bit when I read your posts! It's been 14 years since I lives there, so I am sure a lot has changed, however some things clearly haven't!