Tank turned 49 this year

Desmond

You are truly living the life. Great that you have had a passion for so long. I am already planning my retirment tank lol. It will become my new job , love your boat :) Your tank and stories of it and how long you have run it is amazing :) What was the sg of the water you collected ? In norway its around 1.018 in the sea 8.3 ph CA 420 when i tested it.

Paul B

Thank you. I just noticed that all my important fish were hiding in that video. The mandarins, ruby reds, possum wrasse and marine betta must have been out to lunch.
The salinity here is much lower and I have to add ASW to it. It is around 1.015

Desmond

I have though about using sea water and doing the same but there are allot of boats in the sea around here and large industrial ones so i would be worried the water could be bad. I have noticed the SG lowers and raises here as the first time we checked it was 1.014.

Paul B

"Most" of the pollution from boats is fuel related and luckily, that floats for the most part. I collect here in New York right near the City and believe me we also have boats. Huge oil tankers cruise our coast all day and night as well as garbage barges because virtually every piece of garbage New York City generates goes out of state on a barge. That is garbage for 9 million people not even counting the millions on Long Island where I live. Container ships which are some of the largest in the world come here every day from China and India. Everything comes here by ship. But my fish don't seem to mind.

Paul B

I lost another fish last night by jumping out. (the fish, not me) That makes about 5 fish this year alone. I covered the place they normally jump and only have one more area to screen. Unfortunately the healthier a fish is, the higher they can jump.

Desmond

sorry to hear about that. Not a nice thing to lose fish :-( i lost my hammer coral in the space of 2 days there no idea what happened it all other corals are good and levels are good. Just one of those things i guess.

Paul B

It is just one of those things and we can't plan for everything. I can of course cover my tank but I have so many devices such as baby brine shrimp feeders, worm feeders, algae troughs and a manifold for the reverse UG filter that it would be very difficult so I just try to block open places. They can still jump into my algae trough but they seem to be able to wiggle out of it and back into the tank. You do what you can.

Desmond

yep if it was easy everyone would do it. You seem to have allot of feeders. The worst part for me is when i go away i need to use auto feeder. The fish eat the flakes and food but i wold much prefer frozen. I wish someone can invent such a thing. I have it in my head how it would be designed :) he he

Desmond

I have everything worked out except the freezer unit as it needs to be of a size that can fit under a tank or to the side when away and be stored after.I have worked out what food should be stored in how to get it out and mix it to be pumped to the tank on a time through parts of the day and all components i would need.It is the last bit that eludes me i have an auto cad drawing of it all. I also have a autocad automation program with a video and simulation of all the pieces working as they should. Its the freezer. I may just have to design my own :)

Paul B

That's why I only have women come over to feed the tank, specifically out of work Supermodels.
The freezer is always the problem. Dispensing the food is the easy part, but keeping it fresh including on the parts that are out of the freezer requires the most thought

Paul B

I replaced the wrasse that jumped out with this candy cane wrasse. I like him and may get another one

My Marine beta is doing great, hard to get a good picture because he stays in the shadows and wants to be an Enigma.

The mandarin just does what mandarin's do and my bluestripe pipefish is pregnant again.

Desmond

My thought were to integrate some of the parts into it but also have the option of the dispensing cup that is attach to the pump to be able to come out of the freezer part and also a mode to clean each time

Sent from my SM-G870F using Tapatalk

Paul B

Sounds like a plan. Some day I hope to seriously get back to designing something. So far I have a girl that comes over to fed while I am away

StirCrayzy

I have a $250 design in mind for a frozen food dispenser, but no time to patent and build. I should probably do that someday before one of you guys do it. ;)
It would only take up 8X8X4" but until I build it I have no clue how long it could run between cleanings. I'm shooting for 14 feedings.

Blue Space

I have a $250 design in mind for a frozen food dispenser, but no time to patent and build. I should probably do that someday before one of you guys do it. ;)
It would only take up 8X8X4" but until I build it I have no clue how long it could run between cleanings. I'm shooting for 14 feedings.

Can you sketch that out on a cocktail napkin for me? The best hatched plans are always on cocktail napkins...

StirCrayzy

Hahaha Too true Chris. Here Ya go.
Christian-Ceci_thumb.jpg

Desmond

Bring it out already i dont have time to figure mine out anymore. I would 400 or 500 dollars to get one now if i could. I may figure more of mine out when i get home and talking to a good friend who can help me some.The race is on :)