Tank turned 49 this year

Paul B

No, none of my fish are shy. He also eats clams and Mysis with just as much enthusiasm. All the fish in that video are spawning except the copperband.

He also sucks out most of the new born shrimp that was meant for the mandarins. Video

Paul B

The lights over my algae scrubber trough croaked so I re built the thing. Ok now this is what I am talking about, I went from 16 LEDs to 130 of them. I got it on 3 power supplies so we will see if it does anything to grow algae.

Today I got a pair of blue stripe pipefish. My last pair died after 3 years and that's about how long bluestripe pipefish live and they spawned continousely for two of those years. This pair hangs out together and I think they will spawn soon. I am hoping they find the baby brine feeder soon.
But I did have a problem of sorts. I removed the algae scrubber or trough for about 30 minutes to install the new lights over it. I don't remove the screen any more because it is fukll of corals, worms, amphipods and all sorts of things so I don't want to lose that stuff even though the design of the screen is so I can roll it up and remove it to clean. I will have to re think that soon. Anyway, when I put everything back together the skimmer went nuts, and still is. I am not sure if any thing chemically happened when I removed it for that short time but I don't think it was out of the water long enough to get any die off as I kept it wet with salt water. I think I may have an idea what happened, it just hit me. After I removed the trough, I cleaned the back top rim of the tank of salt creep. Much of that salt fell into the tank. I think that may be it. The long spined urchin climbed all the way up to the top of the water and his spines are sticking out of the water. He does that when he is mad at me. The skimmer is slowing down. all the corals look good and the new pipefish look like they need a room.
2013-04-04124806_zps9b4f1f52.jpg

It started yesterday like this, but I added more LEDs today
2013-04-03183631_zpsf7d5a902.jpg

This was just the reds

2013-04-03183606_zps7def71bd.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hopefully the skimmer will settle down and Mr Urchin will retreat and chill out LOL!

The new LED strip looks good. I'm interested to see how well it works in our set up. How many hours a day are you going to run them on your AS ?

Paul B

They run along with the lights, about 14 hours except the red ones. I ran out of plugs on timers so for now, they run all the time.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nice new leds - post us some pics of the blue stripe pipefish when you can get a good shot :dance:

Paul do you run an as & skimmer?

Blue Space

Everything's looking great Paul! I hope that eventually I'll be half as good of a reefer as you are. I have to admit that I would be raising those young though... ha ha! Currently I'm still trading frags and clones but don't have the stock levels to pay for my reef's expenses. In theory it sounds possible but I've not yet achieved the goal of a perpetual reef. The fact that most of your fish are spawning is a testament to your husbandry skills bro! Rock on!

Paul B

I hope that eventually I'll be half as good of a reefer as you are.

You probably know more than I do now as I forgot most of this stuff already.

I have to admit that I would be raising those young though..
I have raised fish numerous times so the thrill is gone. I keep thinking I will do it again but this is not my only hobby and I am not home enough to take care of a bunch of tiny babies.
Now I still have to babysit this baby and she takes up some time.
2013-03-23153437_zpsbdee4827.jpg

your tank is awesome. Just wanted to give you props

Thank you. My boat can use 2 new props as they are slightly worn. :hallo:

P7180314.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great picture Paul :) That lil kid is going to have the opportunity to learn from one of the best in this find hobby :)

Paul B

It's a good thing I took a picture of this guy last week before I added him to my tank as I will never again be able to get a picture of him as he hides all the time. He is searching for something and it looks like either worms or pods mostly on the roofs of caves. I am not sure if he is eating because he gets scared if I shoot worms near him but he still looks chubby so I guess he is finding something. Speaking of chubby, (no not me) my mandarin looks to be about ready to spawn again and I am hoping my clown gobies do also as she also looks ready as well as one of my threadfin cardinals. My tiny shrimp/gobi almost doubled in size and gets along well the older one so hopefully they will mate as they live in the same hole with the shrimp.

Paul B

That is a possum wrasse, very secretive. I only have her for less than a week and she never comes out, prefering to hunt in caves. But I don't know what she is hunting or if she is finding it but my tank has a lot of food hidden in it. I don't also know if she eats any of the food I feed as she always hides and has never swam out in the open. She is about one and a half inches. There is a store here that always has them but besides that place, I never see them.