Tank turned 49 this year

rostervandross

Yea nice picture and new fish. I really like those anthias fish but they are surprisingly pricey

I am looking out for the hard copy of the book. It is funny how I will happily read a whole book like that but struggle to get into all the reading I have for school. I'm looking forward to some new DIY projects.. I hope you outline a few like your algae scrubber screen.. I have a screen that went over the tank I just turned into a sump that I hope will work.

Last edited:

Paul B

I think that anthias was about $39.00. I could be off by fifty but I think it was somewhere around there.
I forget because sometimes I fix or re-design things for LFSs and I get things cheaper.

rostervandross

How's it doing so far? Curious with all the other long time residents in your tank, do they tend to leave different sorts of new fish alone?

Paul B

He is doing fine, eats like a pig and doesn't hide at all. All around nice fish. No one bothers him. For some reason I don't get a lot of fighting in my tank. I guess they know if they fight, they may be donated to the New York Aquarium as some of my fish already went there. He was supposed to be a flasher wrasse because this one jumped out and I really liked him, but I am having trouble getting one I want so I settled on that guy. I now covered most of the jumping places because that is the only way I lose fish. That and old age.
The hard book will be out any day now. I think with the flooding in the south, they had some set backs.

Paul B

My ozone generator croaked. Lucky for me I have a spare which I replaced it with. Now I will try to repair the old one because I really like a spare even though it would not be a disaster if this one broke.

Paul B

So last night I looked at my tank and I was fooling around with something and I noticed my Ozonizer didn't have the light on and according to the read out, it wasn't making any Ozone. So I remove the thing and I have a spare one. I don't remember where I got it but I put it in and turn it on. It's a Gen-X Ozonizer but there isn't any read out on it and no way to tell how much Ozone it is making so I set it at the lowest setting. My old one put out 200mg ozone but I didn't know what this one puts out. I have been running Ozone full blast for decades so I didn't think anything of it and left it on.
This morning I come down to feed the fish (the tank is in my finished basement) and I notice my copperband butterfly is up at the surface sucking air. (Either that, or he was looking at the picture of the Supermodel I have hanging on the wall and he is trying to whistle)
I shot some live blackworms in the tank and he usually chases them down all over the place. He stays up on top sticking his nose out of the water. This is not good as he has never done that.
Then as I am watching him, I see something red laying behind a bottle, obviously dead. My fish are well aware that they are not allowed to die unless it is from old age so now I am concerned. I carefully look around at the other fish and they looked a little "off". OMG, what happened?
I go around the back of the tank and check the temperature. It is a little low, but it's not like I am going to see a dog sled team flying past the tank carrying an Eskimo so I dismiss that as the cause and just bump up the temperature a couple of degrees. The skimmer is also putting out a lot of foam.
I look for a hospital tank, which I have not used since probably Jimmy Carter was President and I start to mix up some water.
I don't know why because I don't even have any medications and I don't know yet what is wrong with the fish. I remove the dead, red fish which was an old cardinal who I was kind of fond of. I have no idea when I got him. It could have been five, ten or fifteen years ago (I have a lousy memory),
I autopsy him mainly looking for parasites. His gills are clean, not one parasite.
I look at the copperband, who is a really good friend of mine and he is staring at me like, What is wrong with me? Call a doctor. He is also breathing much faster than normal.
Then it hits me. I smell Ozone. I don't normally smell anything because my smeller works as good as my memory. Just then my wife yells down for me to bring something up, or she was telling me how good looking I am, I forget, but either way, I yell back to her, "MY FISH ARE SICK".
She tells me that in the middle of the night she came downstairs and the entire basement smelled funny with a strong odor.
She was right, that little ozonizer filled my entire basement and tank with tons of free Ozone.
So I Google that Gen-X ozonizer and there are all sorts of bad things written about it. First of all the rheostat that adjusts the amount of Ozone isn't even connected to anything so it puts out at least 250mg of ozone all the time even though I thought I had it on the lowest setting. I am sure it puts out way more Ozone than that to fill my entire basement after going through my 5' skimmer.
So I immediately shut the thing off. We went out to my Daughter's in Manhattan for most of the day and now the fish look normal, except for the copperband. He looks better than he did before but is still breathing faster than normal as Ozone would deteriorate the delicate gill filaments.
I am not sure if he is going to make it, it depends on how fast his gills heal. I really like that fish so I hope he lives as he is my favorite and is the first one to greet me when I come home. He is also my biggest eater. If he dies, I will replace him but I really hate to lose a fish, especially to a stupid error or a mechanical breakdown.

rostervandross

Oh no man. Wishing your fish well. You think your ozone machine just cranked out too much into the water?

I don't have any experience with ozone in particular, but the fact that your butterfly fish is looking better rather than worse or the same is a good sign.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:wah: Oh no!! :eeknew:
This makes me very sad....hope for a better update soon. Bad things can happen very fast :(
Good things take a long time. Hang in there!

Paul B

He was on life support for a while and I thought I was going to have to give him mouth to snout resuscitation but he seems better. He came out and gave me a look so I fed the tank and he ate more worms than anyone so I think he is going to be fine. I really have never seen a fish that looked so bad, recover. If he is good tomorrow I will consider him cured and send him a bill. :celebrate:
I also repaired my old Ozone generator that has been on the tank for years but I will wait a week before I put it back on.
Notice the 3 prongs to the left of the green knob? Those are the rheostat connections where wires are supposed to connect to control the amount of Ozone the thing puts out. There is nothing connected to them which allows the unit to put out uncontrollable amounts of Ozone. The makers of the device should have been shot when they allowed this to be sold because I know that they knew.

Last edited:

rostervandross

Nice! that's a relief.

Hey Paul I sent you a message asking about your fully covered aquarium lid and how it affects your lighting.. i didnt want to clutter your thread with off topic questions.. but maybe I can ask a combo question about ozone too. You've been running the ozone a while.. what made you start?

And as far as the tank cover- i'd like to cover my tank some so I don't keep losing firefish.. i'm not sure they are jumping out but it would be nice to limit evaporation too if the glass doesn't interfere with light penetrating the water.

DaveK

Hi Paul, I'm sorry to here about the ozone issue. I've messed up my tanks a few times with ozone. That's one reason I don't use it much any more. Good luck with the recovery of your fish.

Paul B

Thanks, I think my fish will be fine although I have not seen them yet today as the light is still off.
I do not cover my tank but it is in a wall and has sides on it. I added some plexiglass pieces to the places where fish would jump out. As for firefish, I can't keep those because they always find a way out so to save time, when I buy a firefish. When I get him home, I gently open the bag so as not to startle them, then I grab it and throw it on the floor. :cool:

Paul B

I started using Ozone in the 70s when they came out with the stuff. It just made sense to me because it oxidizes organics without leaving anything in the water. It is a win win situation. As long as the thing is running correctly and you don't use a piece of junk like Idid.

Paul B

This morning I went to see the fish and didn't want to wake them up so I sneaked a peek with a flashlight. They were all sleeping but the copperband looked up and winked.
Now that the lights are on they are all fine and looking for food.
For a while there I was going to give the copperband last rites as he couldn't close his mouth and was breathing very fast and laying on a 45 degree angle.
He is eating worms and clams and looks better than ever.

rostervandross

As for firefish, I can't keep those because they always find a way out so to save time, when I buy a firefish. When I get him home, I gently open the bag so as not to startle them, then I grab it and throw it on the floor. :cool:

Haha! I can relate ..

Then i sit and watch an hour go by on the clock to let how long I worked to buy the thing sink in. :mad:

Paul B

That is the reason I don't have garden eels, firefish, long nose hawkfish, jawfish and a few others. Some fish just assume they could fly.

Paul B

Today I noticed my solar electric on my roof that I installed in 08 is not generating anything. Not good. So I pulled apart the system and discovered there is no DC power coming from the 22 panels on my roof. So now I have something to do tomorrow. A few days ago we had a large lightning storm and I think my solar array was hit. I will go up there tomorrow to see what I can find. I would rather look at my fish or a Supermodel but I want to do this while the weather is good.