Tank glass vs acrylic

Kenreefer

Ok...I read all the info glass vs acrylic. Has anyone had both? I like acrylic because the view should be clearer. Glass because it's cheaper. Budget 300 I can diy.

rostervandross

I have not had an acrylic tank but I really like glass.. I have an old scratched up tank as well and i find the clarity/visibilty fine. I'd also be wary of the easily scratchable nature of acrylic.. cutting and working with acrylic for my sump i found out that it is pretty flexy and scratchable. Glass just seems like a better medium

Maybe with a large tank acrylic is preferable and lighter to move in and install.

As far as visibility I am not sure one could really tell a difference

Pat24601

I've had both. I strongly prefer glass. It's all about the scratches. Glass is easier to maintain because you don't have to worry as much about scratching it.

Both are clearly good, though. It's personal presence and what's important to you.

mikejrice

Every advantage of acrylic ends the second you set it down on the stand which is also the exact point when glass begins to shine.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

DaveK

Ok...I read all the info glass vs acrylic. ...

If you have read through all that, there really isn't much more that can be added. It's just personal preference. Having used both, I much prefer glass for most normal tanks. If your going with something really large, 300+ gal, or a very unusual shape, then acrylic may be your only option. If your worried about the tank being clear, you can get tanks made of low iron glass (Starfire).

Kenreefer

Thanks everyone, sorry for delay reply as multiple work deadlines were this week. I thought that would be the case but why not ask. Thinking about starfire glass on front but will use old corner tank for now. Thanks again

DaveK

... but will use old corner tank for now. Thanks again

When your going to get involved with reef keeping consider getting a new tank. Of course you can use any decent tank you have, but when you compare how much your going to spend on a reef system, the tank is one of the least expensive items.

Kenreefer

I agree. Looking for new tank but nobody seems to carry any reef, overflow, tanks. Geees you think reef store would carry something...only monster 150 gallon tanks. I have most all equipment now just need good tank n another light. Light depending on the tank. Going to use one sump for 2 reef tanks.

StirCrayzy

My vote goes to GLASS.
Good luck tank shopping., don't settle for less than what you really want, but also a tank doesn't necessarily need to be reef ready predrilled. You can easily run a lifereef overflow and use the standard tanks.

Kenreefer

Just got back from not so local LFS. First time there great salt selection. Going to do fish only live rock. My rock has been in garbage can heated for 3 weeks. While i resealed the tank. It has ammonia...I don't understand how that's possible but it is what it is...dam and I thought it was cycled rock. tank is holding water no leaks but I'll wait til morning b4 adding saltwater n rock.

Sooo do I just add a piece of rock from my reef tank to seed the new tank or buy a bottle? Or other? Thanks

Last edited: