Tank glass integrity/strucural question

solpete

Hi!

I want to remove the glass that separates the in-tank-filter-compartment fromt the display tank. This glass is much thinner than the glass of the DT in general. My main concern is if its too risky. I would appreciate advice from aquarium-technicians :)
In this figure the piece I want to remove is marked with red color

marked in baby-blue is where I want to cut with razor:

A zoomed in look at parts of the construction:

The same as previous figure but an actual photography, as seen from above:

Here Ive marked the parts with color. RED is the glass I want to remove. Blue is the Silicon to cut, and Yellow is the silicone of the main glass of the tank. Black is the main glass.

two more photos:

The tank is a solid build, good quality. Oceanson / Haquoss semi-circle 100 gallons. Worth noting is that the curved glass is a solid piece that streches 180 degrees all the way to the back-end of the tank facing the wall. The black frame is just some glued-on glass to cover the filter section from the "Audience". The back glass is also solid 12 mm with silicon attached curved glass. What do you think?

solpete

I got a reply from the manufacturer:

Dear Peter,
thanks for your e-mail.
To be honest it's the first time we receive a question like this.
The backpart it's only a filter and we suppose that the aquarium can stay also without it. For sure, since that it's glue to the sides of SEMICIRCLE, it's a additional help to the aquarium to remain stable.

Best Regards
AQUARIALAND CUSTOMER SERVICE

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
To me it honestly doesn't seem worth the headache.

But that's for you to decide:)

I guess the question I'd ask myself is: how much will it benefit me or the tank and for what reason before I decided to move forward with the project.

Good Luck!

solpete

I think I'll go through with this :) really tempted... It's 10 cm that'll do all the difference........

solpete

This has taken me over 24 hours with preparation and final removal. Final removal of the bottom silicone was among the worst things I've ever done in my life. The smell of standing 8 hours inside that tank with the smell of decomposing corals, worms and the most evil of evil was horrifying. The bristle worms - which I didn't even know I had, were literally crawling near my feet. I wore socks, one pair of shorts over my private parts, and one pair of underwear as gas-mask thread over my mouth. I used Calvin Klein eau-de toilets spray on my face to cover the smell.

solpete

IMAG0746-1.jpg

solpete

The bottom the tank after many hours of work. The black stuff are small pieces of silicone.... It.... Took...... HOURS.,.... ARGHHH feel my pain