Tank Crashed! Oh No!

mbdave

Be aware that your rock could have much die off within it and a possible 2nd cycle could happen, watch your ammonia and nitrite.
Sorry to hear about this,
Dave

bwhit1406

Very true there is nothing to say a controller can't fail. What it gives you is redundancy, Max setting on heater max setting on controller. A controller can also be set to give an alarm at various conditions like high temp. You can also use it for lights, powerheads, dosing etc. Just bought a Reef keeper and wish I had a long time ago.

steved13

PREMIUM
Well that might be like me saying the principles in my van are the same as a ferrari, so it should be able to perform the same.

There are some very high end heaters with controllers, that may be as good, but they cost about the same as, or more than, a controller. And the controller also has other capabilities, if you wanted them, later. For instance I got tired of trying to match the colors on something as critical as PH so I added a module and probe, and now read PH through my controller also.

The controller controls the power to the heater. The controller uses a temperature probe to monitor, you ste a certain temp below which the power to the heater is turned on. Once the temp reaches that point the power is shut off.

I don't know why anyone would ever "max out" their heater, That would be askin for disaster. If the controller somehow failed to shut off the heater, it would still not rise past it's set point as long as it's not set to the max.

If I were going to worry about 2 heaters failing or a controller and a heater failing at the same time, I don't think I'd bother getting out of bed in the morning as I might get hit by lightening or an asteroid or something. I think the chances are pretty small.

Now if the controller failed and didn't turn the heater on, there would be no backup for that, except for the room temp, which usually keeps it from going fatally low. All stories I've heard of fatally low temps were do to extended power outages.

Here is a link to the type of controller I'm talking about:

Digital Aquatics

steved13

PREMIUM
Very true there is nothing to say a controller can't fail. What it gives you is redundancy, Max setting on heater max setting on controller. A controller can also be set to give an alarm at various conditions like high temp. You can also use it for lights, powerheads, dosing etc. Just bought a Reef keeper and wish I had a long time ago.

I'm pretty certain what bwhit meant by "max setting on heater" is that if you set the heater on 78 that should be the "max" it goes to should the controller fail...it does not mean to set your heater at the max setting. Just didn't want any confusion.

bwhit1406

I guess I did not make my statement clear enough. Max setting being 78(whatever temp you run at) on heater, 78 on controller. My point was that you have double protection from boiling your tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Once you go "Controller" you never go back.

You redundancy in your heater as well as LOTS of other features (some included in the basic kits and some ADD-ons).

Sorry for your losses but hopefully someone else will learn ahead of time from your experience and not duplicate your situation.

good luck and Happy Reefing :)

steved13

PREMIUM
That link doesn't work, but if it's the $169 package, it looks like a great deal. The only thing I wasn't crazy about the SL1 is that it's ORP and PH, where the SL2 is salinity and PH (if they ever get a working salinity probe) salinity is more popular than ORP. If you want ORP or are sure you don't want salinity and just PH it's perfect. I don't mean to confuse, you can have both the SL1 and the SL2 but if you're only going to get 1 of them, make the best choice for yourself.

steved13

PREMIUM
If you want PH also, the other one is actually a better deal Tom, The SL1 is $69 and it comes with the ph probe which is $19 on sale for $169.

$94 is the lowest I've seen for the basic.

BLAKEJOHN

Controllers seem to be confusing to some reefers as there were to me. I did not know early on that they can be as simple as just tempature control. I could use one now but the tank is comeing down while we move. When set back up there will be a controller on it though.

Avianman

Any signs of anything coming back?

Well, as of today the feather dusters, maroon clown, crabs, starfish and my colony of zoas are alive. That means all my LPS and mushrooms went kaput.
The GSP are showing no signs. My racordea looked like they were going to pull through but then dissolved about a day later.

I have done one decent size water change and put carbon in the filter. Levels still look okay.

I am thinking of ordering that deal. I had considered changing to the SL2, but Salinity only takes a second to measure and there really isnt anything that can get so out of whack as to cause it to change suddenly (where I would need daily monitoring)

steved13

PREMIUM
LOL he sure does, I spent a lot of my career in the appliance business, and I never gave any of that stuff a second thought.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think the controller discussion was an excellent thing to put in this thread for anyone reading this. Nothing wrong with trying to prevent tank crashes for other people. I think everyone has pretty much already offered all the advice possible for a terrible situation like this.

Avianman

Just an update: it's been a couple weeks now, and I have done three moderate water changes, changed carbon every few days. Levels are still good all around. I noticed yesterday morning that my GSPs are coming back! It's like Christmas all over again!
I have a soft spot for green star polyps - weeds to so many but I would be happy if I had a tank full of them!

My zoas have rebounded with gusto and seem to be thriving more than ever. Overall it was not as big of a disaster as I had originally thought