Tampa Bay Live Rock

KodiakBear

Has anyone here ever purchased "the package" from Tampa Bay Saltwater? If so, how was the experience?
I just bought a 125 gal on e-bay and am looking to start setting it up as soon as I get down to FL to pick it up.
Their prices seem reasonable, I was just hoping someone who has purchased from them before would be able to put in their opinion.
Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock - The Package Contents

For those that don't know, their package includes:
1 pound per gallon Live Sand.
1 Serpent or Brittle star per 50 gal.
2 pounds per gallon Live Rock.
2 Tiger Tail Cucumbers per 50 gal.
1 Blue Leg Hermits per gal.
1 Peppermint shrimp per 50 gal.
1/2 Turbo Snail per gal.

They ship everything in two shipments to allow for the initial cycle.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I purchased the package for my 90 gallon back in Nov. '06. 180lbs LR and 90lbs LS and the clean-up crew that came with it. I am 100% satisfied and would do it again. The whole experience was very good. From picking it up at the airport to the short cycle. It was all good. Of course there are some undesirable hitch hikers, but a lot of LR have them. The life on this rock right out of the ocean is astounding! You will be amazed at the diversity and variety that comes on this rock. I would highly recommend Tampabay Saltwater without reservation!

boozeman

Tampa bay is a well rated source :thumbup:
but, with any florida rock source, there is always a mantis hiding in there somewhere :D

KodiakBear

Anyone know what their harvesting practices are? I'd like to play the reef-conscious addict if possible.

panmanmatt

All of their rock is cultured. They take dry rock from land and deposit it in a part of the Gulf that they rent from the state. Rock sits out there for a pre-determined amount of time( can't remember the time frame) before it is collected for shipping.

If you look on their site, it shows how their operation works.

KodiakBear

Wow... Totally missed that part of their site somehow. They sound pretty decent about everything.
Unless anyone has a better alternative, it looks like I've found my source. Still a little peeved that my LFS closed just when I decided to upgrade!

bluespotjawfish

I got something like the 30 gallon package to start my fuge and supplement my display. You just need to remember he is a one-man shop, so communication can be good or poor (depending on if he is in the office or underwater collecting rock). He collects the rock underwater, and packs it underwater when it is shipped. The schedule of your delivery is kinda like island time ~ you get it when he can get it collected and shipped. You may not get it the day you expect or plan for. Getting it is two shipments makes that concept even more difficult (but you need it in two shipments because the second shipment will contain delicate stuff that won't handle a cycle). I got lots of extras (good and bad) and I'm still picking out the bad. For me some of the cool stuff I got was tough to find a place for since I hadn't planned on getting it and my tank was already stocked. I have a beautiful orange tree sponge that lives in the fuge where it can't even be seen, along with a mantis that I have never seen but that I every night. I know I have a BIG gorilla crab in the display. I think that gorilla crab injured one of my Bluespots!

Would I order from him again? Well, not without understanding all of this first.

FLKeysgirl

Wow... Totally missed that part of their site somehow. They sound pretty decent about everything.
Unless anyone has a better alternative, it looks like I've found my source. Still a little peeved that my LFS closed just when I decided to upgrade!
He's actually got video of how he started it all and how he drops, harvests etc right on the home page :) I purchased 90lbs (I was going to be in the area so I let him know a few weeks ahead and made arrangements for pick up) like bluespotjawfish said below, he's a one man show so keep that in mind. Personally I brought mine home dry in a cooler and 4 (one about 3 inches) mantys shrimp :weird:, lots of pistolshrimp, emerald and other crabs and few different starfish came along with the rock on the bottom of the cooler when I got home - typical of Gulf Rock. I gave everything a quick freshwater dip to remove any additional pests (found a few bristle worms and another mantys) let it sit dry in the cooler for about 2 hours and then felt safe enough to put it in the tank. Turns out I still have one little mantys in there but a trap should hopefully get him out soon. I will say the aiptasia on the rock I could've done without but the peppermint shrimp took care of those in no time. I know it sound like I'm :verymad:downing them, but i'm just warning you lol Overall I expected this from FL rock so I was prepared for all of this and I will be buying about 60 more pounds next week, it's great rock, the friends that like to live in it are another story :)

jackobrians

Thank you so much for all the fantastic rocks and all the extras. It really filled up my tank all I can say that it is totally awesome! I was up until 230 this morning arranging everything, my wife was shocked this morning when she saw it.

How dense and heavy is his rock. I took down my 25g tank to upgrade to a 36g Elos Midi. I'm planning on starting with everything new down to the rocks. I have been looking at Tampa Bay Saltwater for rocks and was wanting a bit more feedback about their rocks. I was also thinking of ordering base rock from reefcleaners and only seeding with live rock.

Bald Eagle1

Hello, I'm brand new to this site, but I used to live in central Florida and would regularly visit Tampa Bay Live Rock. They always had an amazing collection of Live Rock. Great prices and Great service. over the years I bought many pounds of live rock from them and was always very happy. i would recommend them to anyone. One little word of caution though, be prepared for a decent amount of die-off. Hope this helps,
Rick.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

One little word of caution though, be prepared for a decent amount of die-off.

starting up a new tank, I like it... ;)

Bald Eagle1

From my personal experience, its a given, if you get live rock from fL. chances are you get a free mantis shrimp as a bonus.

RedTail87

I purchased about 30 pounds of LR from Tampa Bay. Overall, the experience was ok. Communication had its ups and downs but he answered a LOT of my questions.. I may have just warn out my welcome lol. The rock had a lot of life on it which was amazing! He also tossed in some gifts that have turned out to be really awesome and fun - Flower Anemone being one. I'm greatly amused by the little guy.

Would I do it again? Honestly, probably not the rocks bit because I found it stressful and frustrating trying to capture all the gorilla crabs that came on the rocks. I probably found about 20-30 crabs. There were some baby shrimp but I think they were pistols. I would order CUC and other livestock from him though. That part was a lot of fun lol.

Of course, the amount of crabs/shrimp was of no fault of Tampa Bay. Just the nature of getting rocks from the ocean.